DIY Liquid Soap

Make your own liquid hand soap.

What you will need:
3 Bars of Ivory soap
12 Cups of H20
24 Cups of H20 Reserved
Grater/Pan/Wisk or Stick Mixer
2 Gallon Container for storage

Grate 3 bars of Ivory soap (purchased at the Dollar Store for a Buck)
Place soap into pan
Add 12 C. H20
Heat on high until soap is melted, stirring with a whisk, use your stick mixer to make sure everything is combined you don’t want any chunks.
When all the soap pieces turn to liquid turn off the heat and let cool overnight.
It will look like sudsy water at this point, but will thicken by morning.

Add remaining 24 Cups of H20 and reheat soap, whisk to incorporate all the water, once this is done let the soap cool.

Pour into a container to keep on hand.

2 Gallons of liquid Soap made for $1.

Comments

This is a GREAT idea!! I am currently working on some non toxic cleaning products but they have a way to go! Perhaps I could infuse this with a bit of lavender oil or citrus scents…hmmm…the possibilities are endless! I’m popping over from The Girl Creative blog roll. I have a new linky party starting today so stop on by!! Bianca

Oh – and I am your newest follower!

This is brilliant! I love the way you have packaged it in your mason jar too. Great post-thank you.

If you have 5 minutes to spare I would love it if you pop in to visit my blog and link up your fabulous “recipe” to my impromptu “cleaning the house” link-up!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

This is awsome. I can’t believe it’s this simple. I will be doing this soon, thanks for teaching!
    I’m your newest follower. Found you through Bubbly Nature Blog.
    natalie

4. Anonymous says

After I made this & it sits it becomes gloppy and when I pump it a LONG strand of it remains on the pump. Is it supposed to do this?

I tried making this recipe this past week. Everything seemed to be going fine until the last step when I added the last bit of water. I reheated the soap then poured into my containers. I let sit about 24 hours and went to check on it, only to discover that the soap had separated–the bottom half looked kinda like the liquid soap I expected but nearly half of it appears to be water (maybe with a little soap). Anyone else have this problem? Did I not heat it up long enough when I added the second batch of water?

6. Anonymous says

Thank you for the recipe, it worked great! Not quite as foamy as store bought but I’m OK with that. I also made a batch for my vegetarian daughter made from animal free and cruelty free soap. The ratio of soap to water is a little different. It doesn’t use as much water so it doesn’t make as much but it’s still less expensive that store bought.

7. Anonymous says

I just made this last night and it is way too thick and almost solid like to put in soap dispensers. Will it thin out if I let it sit longer?

8. Tleuschner says

Does it matter what bar soap you use? I used a different brand and it’s really running and I’ve not even added the 24 cups of water yet.

9. Anonymous says

I made some using Olay bar soap, gylcerine and water – slick like snot and not suds so not even sure you are spreading it on your body. Does this have suds?

Wow! This makes a lot of soap! Thanks for the recipe. I actually had to make mine a little more concentrated than was called for- because I couldn’t fit all the water in my biggest pot. But I still had more than 2 gallons of soap and it turned out great. I blogged about it and linked to your site.

11. Leanne says

Thanks for this! I have to use fragrance free soap which is really expensive. I can use Ivory bar soap, though, so making it into a liquid will save lots of money. I’ll make it soon!

12. Anonymous says

I have had difficulty with this recipe. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I have had to re-heat this 4 times as the consistency was way to hard for liquid soap. Each time I added more and more water. Now, it is better, sort of slimy for lack of a better description, but it does do the job ok, so that is good. I do not think I will be making this recipe again however no worries for me as I now have gallons and gallons of this soap stored up.. Likely enough to last a life time.. LOL…

instead of grating the ivory soap, quarter it and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds apeice. As its “cooking’ it puffs up. let that cool and then use your hands (or kids) to finely crumble it up with your hands.

14. Anonymous says

Is there a reason you can’t add all the hot water at once? I don’t understand why it has to be done in two stages.

15. Anonymous says

I have been using a slightly different recipe…3 T each of Borax and Washing Powder and 1 T of Dawn origional blue liquid soap. mix in 2 cups of hot water to disolve, and then add enough cold for a gallon bottle (I reused old clorox bottles from volunteering at the SPCA) and I shake it before pouring it into the wash. 1 cup for lightly soiled 2 cups for super dirty. We are even going to try using it at the shelter to save money (but it won’t be consistant because I am not there every day and we will run out….we do 30 or 40 loads a day!

after reading all the posts i see my concern has been covered…it is the consistency of egg white, gloppy and slimy..have it packaged already so hoping the sitting for 2 weeks helps, but i can’t see what that will do, but we will see..

17. Anonymous says

I just used tap water and figured since it boils, it should be fine/hygienic. Should I put some tea tree oil to preserve? Can I add essential oils of my choosing? Thanks.

18. Anonymous says

Ivory, dove etc all use animal tallow. Use handmade soap instead! Also if you are adding water you need to add a preservative or you are going to get some funk growing in there. Cute container though……

19. Anonymous says

We have asked a question similar to this topic before and was helped out,
    great id love to get specific. In the beginning from the movie he (Mark) posts on a blog as he works within the girl rating site, “FaceMash”,
    as well as as bash his ex girlfriend he updates his
    progress on creating the site. If anyone can directly quote this section of the movie I might be much obliged.

Please and Many thanks!.

Also visit my blog; Vaginal Mesh Lawyers

20. Kelly Love says

Hi there! I have a question. Yesterday, I actually made the third batch of this soap. Only this time I used Oil of Olay because of the fragrance. I did everything the same as the other times, but this time the soap turned out like milk. It is fragrant and I guess could wash your hands, but I really am trying to find out a way to thicken it. Can that be done? I really appreciate this recipe! I have a homedaycare and we go through hand soap like nobody’s business! :-)

21. Anonymous says

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in
    Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you
    know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue
    solved soon. Many thanks

Feel free to surf to my web blog nz-queenstown.net

22. Anonymous says

My mom was using BriteSmile but she was acquiring a reaction from it that a DR said to stop.
    Made her teeth VERY sensitive.

Feel free to visit my page dental pro 7

23. Anonymous says

Soooo, Carter, what you might be saying is an enraged Hulk is worthy of picking
    up Thor’s hammer as he is pummeling Thor? It is about strength, in this sense. Do not forget Wonder Ladies did pick up his Hammer since in the family connection. What is actually a test of strength for the Hulk and Superman minus any other versions of them both, that will give us a true measure of who is a lot more powerful? Searching at Supermans and The Hulks feats of strength they seem equal within a relatively calm state?

Also visit my blog … superman stamina revealed free

24. Anonymous says

Wonderful stuff! Usually puzzled whats much better in terms of profitability in the relationship area of interest.

Here is my homepage … dating Tips

25. Anonymous says

Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I
    came to check it out. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Terrific blog and terrific design.

Look at my site – vigrx plus

26. Anonymous says

Bulwarks by having scuppers. As being a definite situation mastermind coming from all SPECTRE ( Specialist just for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Retribution and
    furthermore Extortion), my hubby tries to absorb around the
    world and win truckloads of capital in the process of components.
    Along with this process toaster one can home chef your meals.

My web-site watts oven

27. Anonymous says

Love the recipe. Thank you for posting it. I just finished making it but it’s very slimy. Should I add more water? I haven’t read all the comments. I hope this hasn’t already been discussed.