Vintage Blue Canning Jars with Zinc Lids

BlueMasonJarsWithZincLids

I was gifted vintage blue canning jars with zinc lids.  My elderly neighbor called the other morning wanting to know if I would like some canning jars.  Her husband passed last year and she is no longer gardening or canning.  She had an auction earlier in the year but this box had been missed, hiding in the corner of the basement.  I told her I would love to have whatever canning jars she no longer needed. If you are a canner like me you can never have to many jars.   She was eager to get rid of them and ran them right over to me.  I thanked her for the box of canning jars and chatted a while.  I had no idea until the next day what treasures were in that box.  I was loading the dishwasher and thought I had better run the jars through a load before they get moved to the basement where all my canning supplies are stored.  You can’t imagine how surprised and excited I was to find Blue Jars with Zinc Lids in the box.  What an unexpected find. After the dishwasher did it’s thing I grabbed the blue jars and pondered over where to display them.  I have several blue ones now and love to use them all around the house for decor.  For now I have them on my mantel, but they will get moved around and used as flower vases from time to time.  Don’t you just love it when an ordinary box of canning jars turns into a box of Vintage Blue Canning Jars?

Signature

Comments

I have several, too, and am always looking for more. How nice of your neighbor to pass these on to you!

xo
    Claudia

What a find Dawn! Now go make some sweet tea and invite your neighbor over for some served in those jars ;).

3. Kris says

Woo-Hoo! How nice of your neighbor to think of you. I have several and I love them!!!
    Is everyone finding you now? Or should I post a shout out?
    xo Kris

Wow! What a sweet surprise to find blue canning jars! That’s a true gift!

Dawn
    How sweet of your neighbor.
    I have four. I actually saw one for $25. in a thrift store.
    Crazy!

Those are so gorgeous in the different sizes and with the zinc lids. Lucky you! And what a nice neighbor!

Judy

Lucky you! They are so beautiful! What a lovely neighbor!

Dawn, what a lovely gift. I now have you on my blog roll. xo, Olive

That is a perfect gift for jar lovers like us! Very pretty and I have yet to find a brighter blue like the one in front. Mine are all a lighter aqua, but of course here it is easier to find Crown jars than Ball.

HI Dawn,
    Oh how sweet of your neighbor to give you those jars. What a great treasure to have. I love the old blue jars and have a few myself. I love the pop of color they give. So pretty.
    Kris

What a fun gift. I bought some of the new blue and bought lids with daisy cut outs on Etsy. I drink my tea through a straw in the center of the daisy. Silly, but I like them.

Dawn…how fun to find some old blue jars with zinc lids in the box. A few years back, I found several at our local Goodwill and was so excited…think I got there at the right time, because I can’t imagine them staying on the shelves there for very long.
    ~Cindy

Cindy,
      No, I wouldn’t think they would hang around a GW for long. It is so exciting to find something like that when out thrifting. Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping in.

How special that she thought of you! What a treat to find those gorgeous jars! 🙂
    Susan

I had no idea what she was giving me. Im no sure she even they were blue, she just wanted them out of her basement.

What a wonderful gift! The blue vintage jars are quite expensive these days in antique shows across the country. What a wonderful surprise for you to open the box and find these…

Blessings,
    Dianne

Dianne, I have seen how pricey they are getting at flea markets. I don’t think there is anything special about them other than they are blue, and old. I guess if they are “in”, they are pricing them high.