How to Clean & Sanitize Laundry Bins

The last week of March for the Cleaning Challenge was to tackle the laundry baskets. I have cloth lined, metal framed laundry baskets. I love the look and I also like the idea of taking the liner out to be washed once a month, and it was time for sure.

Grubby Laundry Basket

This happens to be the bin I use for my kids whites, which consist mostly of dirty, smelly, wet, nasty socks. You get the picture right? Teen boys have some smelly feet and their socks get thrown in the bin and stink up the laundry room. So once a month I take the liners out and give them a go in the wash cycle with some bleach.

Clean Laundry Bin

I am happy to report the liners came out clean and odor free. I didn’t even mind stacking my clean laundry in the bin. I am sticking to my cleaning challenge and getting so many things done. I can’t believe how easy it is to spend an extra 30  minutes and get so much accomplished. With writing it down here it really keeps me accountable and motivated. You should give it a try!

For April I will be tackling our side entry way. It’s what we use for everyday living and it seems to be the catch all spot. It is 9 feet long, has cupboards up top, cupboards on bottom, a bench and coat hooks. I will be back at the end of April to share my clean and organized area.

Week #1 Top Cupboards

Week #2 Bottom Cupboards

Week #3 Coat Hooks

Week #4 Seating Bench

30 Minute Cleaning Challenge A Monthly Chore Chart to Keep Your Home Organized and Stay Organized

Oh my gosh I love the new theme! I thought I was in the wrong place when I first clicked through. lol. If I had a real laundry room, I would have these baskets. I love them. My washer/dryer are in my dungeon basement though and it’s just not worth it. Good job on all your organizing!

Ann, you must have clicked over while I was working on it. LOL I still have things to do, but will keep it live as it is for now. Thanks for dropping in 🙂

I love your framed laundry basket. Where did you get it Dawn?

Dee, I found mine all brand new at Good Will, but I have seen them at Target too 🙂

Love the new theme and yes, I see the tan now. I like it, but I know what you mean about it seeming smaller. Have fun, my friend. By the way, no room for sorting bins in our laundry/bathroom! Just the hamper. And the floor. Ha!

Claudia, glad you can see it now. My laundry room isn’t all that big either.

4. Tammy says

It’s been a while since I visited! So sorry 🙁 …I LOVE the new look of your blog!!!

Great ideas, I have a stainless laundry bin, so I just spray and wipe but I love the idea of giving them a wash once a week.

Marie, I have never seen stainless laundry bins, where did you find them?

6. Penney says

Dawn, thanks for the tip.Duh, I haven’t thought to wash the canvas, lol. Mine is one of those triple sorters with cloth bags that hang on two rods, sort of file cabinet style if you know what I mean. Of course I’ll have to have them all empty to wash all at once lol.

Penny, I know the kind you have. Just throw the canvas in with the load you are washing from time to time.