Lilac Blooms Get Photo Bombed

Lilac Blooms | Spring Flower Trees and Shrubs | | | #FloweringLilacsSunday morning it was a nice sunny day so I grabbed my camera and garden nippers and took a stroll up to our guest house in hopes the lilac’s were blooming. They were beginning to open up so I decided to snap a few photos and cut a few branches. I have a dark and a light purple bush and the dark purple lilacs always bloom later than the light, so for this cutting, light purple lilac’s it is. There’s no way to describe the scent of a lilac, no essential oil can compare, it’s an intoxicating scent that I just can’t get enough of. The only downfall to these beauties is the bloom time, it’s for such a short time normally a week at best, and in my neck of the woods it seems like a frost always hits and destroys whatever blooms are left. I hope the dark purple are ready next week so I can get an additional cutting. All I need is one arrangement in the house for the whole place to smell like lilacs; it’s just heavenly.

Lilac Blooms in a Galvanized Bucket | Flowering Shrubs and Trees | | | #Lilac BloomsMy intentions were to place the cuttings haphazardly in a galvanized sap bucket. I wanted it to look natural not to staged or time consuming. Well here is where the photo bombing came in, Pirate Morgan Moon Scar decided it was a good time to hop up on the table and drink her bowl of milk, smell the lilacs, and chew off a few flowers.

Lilac Blooms | Flowering Shrubs and Trees | | | #Lilac BloomsSo now what do I do with the few flowers she decided to chew off? I certainly didn’t want to waste any of them so I dug out some tiny bottles, filled them with water and lined my kitchen window sill with a tiny lilac display. They’re so pretty I just can’t get enough of them. This is one flowering plant I wish could bloom year round.

Lilac Blooms | Flowering Shrubs and Trees | | | #Lilac BloomsApparently chewing off those blooms tired her all out, she decided to nap on the table right next to the lilacs. Ah, the life of a cat; not a care in the world….

Lilac Blooms in a Galvanized Bucket | Flowering Shrubs and Trees | | | #Lilac BloomsAfter the cat was done napping I was able to get a photo of my galvanized bucket filled with lilacs. This is a sight that makes me happy, and the smell is like no other. If you haven’t ever experienced lilacs you are missing one of the best things on earth.

This must be the year of the lilac. They are so pretty. There’s no scent as lovely as a lilac’s. The kitty knows beauty…very cute pictures of your cat.

Balisha, I agree nothing smells better than lilacs.

Yes, the life of a cat. That is one cute long name your kitty has. I have yet to smell lilacs. Not common around here.

Kim, my son named that cat when he was 3 and he’s now 20, we just call here Meow but her given name is quite long. LOL Girl you need to smell lilacs you better come north.

Hi Dawndie! Oh, what a sweet post. Love your pretty lilacs and I can just see your kitty softly nibbling the blooms off. Always your snaps are gorgeous. Hope you’re doing well.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia πŸ™‚

Shelia, thanks for stopping by. Theres nothing better than the smell of lilacs.

Our lilacs were so gorgeous this year – I wonder if it’s due to all the snow we had this winter? Yours are so beautiful, I had to pin the photo of them on your table.

Love your cat!

Claudia, thanks for pinning. My lilacs are still trying to fully open and I have heard others say theres just aren’t doing much this year. I sure hope the dark colored ones bloom here soon.

Galvanized buckets & lilacs….love!! Your photo bomber is a cutie!!

Martina, that cat is normally to lazy to do much but that day she was full of it.

The lilacs are at their peek and the scent was amazing yesterday. Lovely photos of beautiful blooms. It appears the aroma of the blooms helps kitties sleep πŸ™‚

Linda, they are so pretty right now. I sure hope I am able to get another cutting the ones I have are starting to fade.

I adore lilacs and kitties πŸ™‚ I gave my main lilac a pretty severe pruning this week as it finished blooming. I am hoping it will fill out more and bloom more, of course. I have two light purple lilacs in pots, dug up from my mom’s house, to plant in the ground. BTW, do you recall the details of your chandelier over the table? Thanks!

Barb, thats good to know to prune after the blooms are done. I keep mine heavily pruned, I like more flowers than I do green and I also keep it trimmed so I can mow under it. The light fixture came from JCPenneys about 6 years ago, got 2 of them on the clearance rack. I just checked their site and they don’t carry them any more.

Dawn, my cat does the same thing! Can’t make her stop. πŸ™‚

Your photos are still beautiful.

Stacey, Our cat is worse with age she has always been so lazy but now that she’s 17 she’s more nosey.

9. Dixie in montana says

No lilacs here in Montana yet…actually no leaves on the bushes yet. Buds are starting to swell, so soon maybe! Our tulips are blooming finally so at least we have some flowers to make us know we survived the long winter! Our temperatures finally made it into the 70’s and it feels great, though we could use a little moisture…in the way of rain…NOT SNOW!!!

Dixie, LOL yes no SNOW. I didn’t realize your season was later than Michigan’s. I would love to get to Montana some day.

10. Denise Z says

Lilacs always take me back to days growing up in Michigan! We had a beautiful lilac bush in the backyard and to this day, lilac is one of my favorite scents. I remember letting our Beagle out at night before bedtime and having to go hunt him down…he’d be laying under the lilac bush–I think even he enjoyed the smell!

Denise, what a wonderful story. I just love Michigan and all it’s beauty.

Every photo, even the one with the cat, is gorgeous. You are such a skilled photographer.

Carol, thank you for the compliment. Have a wonderful weekend, get lots of projects done.

I agree with Carol! Every single photo is so beautiful! I could almost smell the lilacs. πŸ™‚

Happy Memorial Day weekend friend!

Karianne, thank you for stopping by, do you have lilac’s in your neck of the woods?

Jeanette, she was a stinker that day so I decided to just let her go and use the photos as they are.

Hi there I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found
    you by accident, while I was searching on Digg for something else,
    Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a marvelous post and a
    all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have
    time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great
    deal more, Please do keep up the superb b.

Here is my blog: google