Patriotic Bicycle Basket

Patriotic Bike | Bike With Basket of Flowers | 4th of July |Red, White & Blue | Creative Cain CabinWhen you’re to clumsy to ride a bike you turn it into garden art, at least that’s the case for me. I loved this bike the day I purchased it, it was bright pink with a big granny seat (to accommodate my big ole’ butt) no fancy things to learn, just get on an peddle so I thought.

Patriotic Bike | Bike With Basket of Flowers | 4th of July |Red, White & Blue | Creative Cain CabinFor some reason I seem to always be a klutz. I always have bruises, I fall down when most people don’t and it just always seems to happen to me. Well that’s what happened to my pretty pink bike. I decided to take it into town and ride it on paved roads, I thought that would be safer than our dirt road with all the large gravel to ride over. My perfect plan lasted about 2 blocks. I fell off my bike, ripped the seat, split my head open, and my shin was bleeding. It made it worse when some lady hollers out her door, “honey you ride a bike like my 5 year old”. Hmmm, that was the end of my bike riding. I put it back into the truck and took it home.

Patriotic Bike | Bike With Basket of Flowers | 4th of July |Red, White & Blue | Creative Cain CabinAfter it sat around a few years it got rusty, and had a flat tire and before it went into the scrap heap I gave it a hit and a miss with some white spray paint, attached an freezer basket to the front and filled it with patriotic flowers.

Patriotic Bike | Bike With Basket of Flowers | 4th of July |Red, White & Blue | Creative Cain CabinI guess it wasn’t a total waste of money I does look nice as a planter. We have a maple tree in the middle of our circle drive and I have the bike propped up against the tree for everyone to see when they pull in.  I decided after I did the pictures I should probably trim the lower branches since my kids have already backed into the bike because they couldn’t see it.

Patriotic Bike | Bike With Basket of Flowers | 4th of July |Red, White & Blue | Creative Cain CabinMaybe before I get another hair brained idea about purchasing a bike I should look into getting a set of training wheels.

Thanks Jennifer, Im sure I was quite a site and not in a pretty way ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh Dawn you crack me up. I can just see you riding that bike and then crashing. LOL! It looks great in your garden all dressed in patriotic decor. I love a nice garden bike too. They just bring so much character to the garden. Love yours.
    Hope you have a wonderful day today with your hubby and the boys. Enjoy.

Kris, I was a bloody mess for sure. Hubby couldn’t believe how much damage I could do in one little bike outing. LOL

2. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says

Well I’m sorry that bike riding didn’t go so well, but I think your bike looks totally adorable in your garden!

Sharon, I agree the garden is the spot for the bike. LOL

Well, the bike is awfully cute just painted and leaning against the tree. Sorry you had such a painful ride on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good repurpose!

Have a great day.

Pam, thank you I am glad I rescued it before hubby took it to the scrap yard.

Your bike looks great as a planter. I’m sure you can smile now at your adventures riding it, but imagine it was painful at the time.

Linda, I am always falling so it was nothing new, just embarrassing. LOL

Love your “garden bike”….and what a great idea to use a freezer basket and the cute bicycle basket…love the flowers and the patriotic theme!…I have a bicycle in the garage that I only rode once!…Have a wonderful week Dawn!

Shirley you better get that bike out of the garage, prop it up against your garden shed, and plant some flowers in it.

Ohhhh, I want one so bad! What a cute idea. I’m in Michigan now and I love seeing that this town (and state) are so patriotic. I will be on the lookout for a bike with a basket and do the same. By the way, I’ve had some Michigan asparagus several time since we moved into our new home (10 days ago). The stalks are so thick and delicious and much cheaper than in VA. Loving it here in MI, -Bev (please follow my new blog, thx!)

Bev glad you are settled in MI now ๐Ÿ™‚ I am heading over to your place now.

Oh my gosh I LOVE this! You have the absolute perfect spot. I have thought about getting a basic no-gears bike to ride but I really don’t want to wear a helmet. Seems it’s the thing to do now though. The freezer basket was a brilliant idea!

Ann I wore no helmet and never thought of it I guess, Im sure it would have saved my broken skull. LOL

Hi Dawn, I related to this post so much for one reason-I’ve always been a klutz(though I don’t like that word), would trip or fall down a stair etc. It must be a genetic thing because my youngest daughter(now a mom)does the same thing and several of her kiddos also are like this. My daughter’s pediatrician once said it was because our minds go faster than our bodies or vice versa. I also have a Morton’s toe(second toe longer than my big toe)and it affects your center or gravity-so I blame it on that. I am so sorry that lady said that to you. I am a bike rider(last year rode a total of 300 miles during the summer and I was 61 yrs young), this year haven’t ridden as much-but I wish you hadn’t given up on it. Oh well, I love your planter. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Noreen, I agree with that my mind and body are always in a hurry and I need to slow down. Last summer I ran up the stairs wearing flip flops and ripped both my big toenails off. Boy was the painful. I am just an accident waiting to happen by nature I guess.

9. susan says

Such a gorgeous bike to have on display! I’ve always wanted to do that with a bike, so maybe it’s still not too late. Hubby would say “another thing to mow around!” and I’d just sigh!

Susan, LOL yes it is another thing to mow around but when I see hubby on the mower I go outside and pick up the dog toys, move equipment, and the bike and once he’s done I move it all back or he would just go around things and it would look horrible.

10. Penney says

You crack me up ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL Pinned it, love it!!

Penney it is funny now but when I fell it was humiliating. LOL