Turn an Old Lantern into a Mini Greenhouse

How to Make a Mini Greenhouse From an Old Lantern | CreativeCainCabin.comYesterday I was outside all day, I pinned laundry on the line, mowed the yard, weeded the flowers, added a new birdhouse in the maple tree, and planted a fern in my old bike basket. Why doing all that work my wheels started turning and an upcycle project emerged.

How to Make a Mini Greenhouse From an Old Lantern | CreativeCainCabin.comYou see I had these old black lanterns in my pile of junk to go to the trash, when my brilliant idea hit. That’s what I call them anyway, and every time I have one of my “brilliant ideas” hubby just shakes his head. Fortunately this time it didn’t require him doing any work. Lucky him!!

How to Make a Mini Greenhouse From an Old Lantern | CreativeCainCabin.comAnyway I rescued the lanterns from the trash and decided to turn them into mini greenhouses. The black was faded from the sun, and I knew I wanted a lighter color so I carefully removed the glass and gave them a quick coat of white spray paint. That alone made them look 100 times better. Next I added small terracotta pots and a cute cascading plant. Wow, Im in love with the lanterns all over again.

How to Make a Mini Greenhouse From an Old Lantern | CreativeCainCabin.comTo make them a true greenhouse I will need to add the glass again, but right now I like the open concept and it adds a pop of color on my front porch. I just love it when I can create something new from something old, and save it from the landfill. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend everyone!

1. Becky says

These look really great. I like the white paint and the plants are a great idea. It’s a really nice look for spring. Don’t you love it when the light bulb comes on and creative juices start to flow. My neighbor had two really large lanterns I think she got for free because the glass was broken in them. She has a large home and entryway and put them on the entryway table. Every time I went over she had them decorated with a different look. Grapevine and a flameless candle, a cute framed picture of her grandson inside, little boo pumpkins stacked up, and small faux Christmas trees, just to name a few. Those are things she couldn’t do had they not had the glass removed. Sometimes a minus ends up being a plus. Love all your creative ideas.

Becky, I like them white better too, it shows up against the logs better. I did do the boo pumpkins in them for fall, but now that they have new life I think I’ll use them for other seasons ๐Ÿ™‚

Exceptionally cute project!!! Thanks for the idea!

Anne, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great weekend

3. Mary Tullila says

Beautiful repurpose! What a great idea.

Thank you Mary, I’m always happy when I can reuse something and enjoy it a while longer. Have a wonderful weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

I love them without the glass too, Dawn. Very clever.
    You always come up with the best ideas!

Susan, I think I’ll keep the glass and put it back in for fall and load the lantern with tiny pumpkins.

5. Kathleen G says

I love what you did to up cycle the lanterns. Fresh and summery, Kathleen in Az

Thanks Kathleen, they look much better now, and I’m enjoying them again.

6. Nancy Blue Moon says

I have two lanterns like yours..I am going to do this..love it Dawn!

Nancy, good for you, they will be charming ๐Ÿ™‚

7. crafty.grandma says

Love this idea!!! Wish I had two latterns like that …..juts got back from shopping and not about to go out again!! LOL!!! Maybe next time….thanks for the share!

I think I originally purchased them at Target, if you go looking again ๐Ÿ™‚

• crafty.grandma says

LOL!! That is exactly the mall I went shopping. Target unfortunately closed their doors early this year (March I think) in Canada after being open only one year….and I do remember seeing them there only they were still at 10% off…when I returned on the day before they closed, there was nothing left!!! I did get a nice soap pump for $2 which was originally $8! and 48 Everready batteries for $4.00!! LOL!! Nothing more interesting!! I think I saw some at our local hardware store of all places!! I will continue looking… I have one from Ikea but it is too small for a plant….maybe Micheals!! Thanks for the inspiration

I bet they have them at Walmart too ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Kris, a zero dollar project is always fun ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Debbie says

We are two peas from the same pod. I have painted my rusty, old lanterns twice now. I put candles in a jelly jar
    in them. Going to turn one into your great idea. Thanks Dawn. Still loving your blog!!!

Debbie, great minds think alike ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet you will find several ways to use them.

LOVE this and will be stealing ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for sharing. Sue x

Sue so glad you liked it, steal away ๐Ÿ™‚

Already eyeing up contenders ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ll be sure to tag you in as my inspiration when I do it. Thanks again x