Barred Owl

Barred OwlLook what I spotted!

Hello Mr. Owl!

I pulled out of my driveway and noticed the neighbor coming down the road on his tractor. I knew a tractor and my Jeep wouldn’t fit on our one lane dirt road so I decided to put my Jeep in reverse and sit in the drive untill he passed, when all of a sudden I spotted this owl and he was really close, so close I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I had to stop the neighbor and ask him if he noticed it too.

Well of course he did so I was glad to know I wasn’t seeing things.

Barred OwlI decided to take my chances, head back home, and grab my camera in hopes he’d still be sitting in the same spot when I returned.

Well by golly he never moved so I was able to snap several photos of him. He didn’t seem to mind we walking up to him either. I did notice a Robin swooping down trying to get the owl to leave, I assume he was waiting to take her babies out of the nest and was so intent on doing a little nest robbing that he didn’t care about me photographing him.

Barred OwlI was so excited to see the Barred Owl in our area and I decided to print Owl house plans and build a spot for this one to nest. I’m not sure if it will stick around but I’m going to build the nesting box in hopes it does.

Here’s a fun little tip about the Barred Owl: It’s call sounds like “Who cooks for you?”

1. Karen says

I really enjoyed this post about the owl. I have never seen one that close. I hope your idea of a fixing a place for him so he’ll stay around works. Thank you so much for sharing.

Karen thank you for stopping in today. I was amazed when I notice the owl and he was so close it was hard to believe it was real.

How cool is that Dawn ! Nature at it’s best and you got pictures to prove it !!

Cheryl I think I’ll send the pics to our local news station and see if they’ll post it.

So glad he stayed put so you can take these wonderful photos….looking forward to you making that owl house!!!

Shirley I figured he would fly off when I went back for my camera but I guess he was having a photogenic day.

Angie thank you I’m so glad I spotted him too.

4. Kathleen G says

My husband would love to take pictures of the owl. Beautiful! Hope you can have nesting owls. Kathleen in Az

Kathleen I bet my photo will be a once in a lifetime thing, so I’m so glad I had the opportunity. Maybe the nesting box will keep them coming.

5. Nancy says

We had an owl box in our back yard. The
    Owls came and had a baby owl. It was so cool. We watched it everyday.

Nancy how awesome I hope the same happens at my place. I may be too late this year for nesting season but I’ll make the box and be ready for next year.

What a gorgeous owl. How great he or she let you take so many pics.
    Glad you had to stop to let the tractor go by and did not miss this magnificent creature.

Kris I know if I hadn’t stopped I would have never noticed him.

Carol it was my first time seeing one so close up.

Jane you need to come to my neck of the woods, get a load of rocks, and visit the owl. LOL

7. Debbie says

Awesome photographs and you are so lucky to see him. I love nature and we have an owl that lives in our neighborhood. On Wednesday night we saw a giant hawk fly into a pin oak. All the smaller birds went ballistic and began swooping down and around. Me and hubby and a couple of other neighbors just stood in the middle of the street watching him spread his wings and just chill. Can’t wait to see the nesting box you make. We know hawks have made nests in the white pines behind our house because they use small branches from trees and the nests are huge.

Debbie yes nature is awesome and I hope my nesting box attracts the owl.

Linda me too. I think it hangs around quite regularly so I may get a chance to see it again.