DIY Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen Sign

DIY Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen Sign Made From Pickets. Complete Tutorial With Photos. Popular Pin!It’s been a long few days around here. We’ve had no internet for 3 days, I’m not a TV watcher, so I had to find things to do. Let’s just say a lot of crafting went on around the cabin recently. What did people do before the net? My house is always clean, meals prepared, laundry done so I started checking off those things on my to-do-list. A Vintage Farmhouse Sign was first on the list.

Fall Pumpkins Gathered in a Wicker Basket. Popular Pin!I’d been wanting to make a Sweet Tea sign all summer long but needed to wait until the hot days had passed to get outside with my miter saw and get it done. I happened to have a few pickets hanging around that I’d purchased for another project and still haven’t got around to doing so rather than buy more lumber I used the rough sawn pickets for this project.

Steps 1-4 For Making a Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen SignWhat you’ll need:

• Pickets
  • Miter saw if you want a size different than the pickets come in (or have the lumber yard cut them to size when you purchase them)
  • Hammer and Nails
  • Computer and Printer
  • Pencil
  • Carbon Paper

Steps 5-8 For Making a Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen SignIt was super easy to make I nailed two pickets together with a small piece of wood on the backside. Whitewashed the front with paint I already had on hand. Printed the letters off on the computer and traced them onto the board with carbon paper. Here’s a trick, use a sharpie to outline the letters first, it makes for a crisper edge when you fill them in with paint. Next I filled in the letters with chalkboard paint (it’s what I had) and up it went. I liked it so well I made on for a friends new kitchen too.

DIY Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen Sign Made From Pickets. Complete Tutorial With Photos. Popular Pin!Did you notice I turned our dining room table in the opposite direction? I haven’t had it this way in a while and was ready for a new look. We never eat at the table we use the island so I always have the top decorated for whatever season we’re in. My seasonal decor this year will be very minimal. I’m not going to purchase anything new besides fresh pumpkins for outside.

DIY Vintage Farmhouse Kitchen Sign Made From Pickets. Complete Tutorial With Photos. Popular Pin!I was quite amazed when I went to my decor tote and found so many different pumpkins. I decided to use them all in large baskets to make a statement. I really love our home done in traditional fall colors, it seems to be the tones that work best in the cabin year round.

Dawn

Comments

Thank you Jeanie I’m even making them for my friends.

Thank you Kathleen it was a fun and fast project.

Love the sign. I guess I need to think about fall. ๐Ÿ™‚
    xo
    Laura

Laura our days are in the low 70’s and the nights in the 40’s already here so it’s feeling like fall.

Are you a sweet tea drinker, Dawn? The sign looks perfect over your doors.
    I just made a sign last week using the same process. It’s so easy, right?
    I like all of those colours of pumpkins too!

Kim heck no I drink tea like a northerner, NO sugar. I’m sorda addicted to making signs now.

3. Jen D. says

Cute sign and I’m loving your assortment of pumpkins. I’m shopping the house for the fall season, too…and it’s pushed me to be more creative. I’ve pinned a lot of homemade pumpkins – now to see what supplies I have on hand to create some of them.
    P.S. I love your table that turned that way…and your decor is looking so homey with the new colors.

Jen I made a few of the fabric pumpkins about 2 years ago, they’re so easy to do. I hate buying new things all the time so I’m using what I have even if it’s been seen before.

• Jen D. says

I’m so glad you’re doing that, Dawn. I reuse all of my decor, so it seems right for bloggers to do it, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen so many buy new every year but I don’t feel it necessary. I buy a couple of things and call it good. I don’t think my readers mind seeming the same things used in different ways around my house.

4. Joan says

You have made a lot of changes this last year – shutters, paint, slipcovers. Everything you have selected looks great! Love it all and to top it off, your house is always clean!

Joan I think the house if finally getting how I like it.

Love that sign Dawn. It would also be a hit here in the South….the land of Sweet Tea. Love the new placement of your dining area.

Shirley and the funny thing is I like northern tea, NO sugar, lol.

I love our sign, and your entire kitchen, but what I really want to know is if your house is really always cooked and meals prepared, because if that’s true, I’m not sure we can be friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously though… I love your home!

Thanks Angie and yes that’s me a true old fashioned girl with meals on the table, a clean house, and laundry done. My hubby’s a hard worker and gives me the luxury of staying home so these things can be done.

7. Kathleen G says

Very homey with the sign! And hey! You can make seasonal ones too! I like that you use what you have and honestly, the cabin has the Northwoods look and I can see saturated Autumnal colors, very warm and cozy. I love those colors in my home in the desert:).
    Kathleen in Az

Kathleen great ideas to make seasonal signs. I see that to-do-list getting longer again, lol.

The sign looks really sweetโ˜บโ˜บโ™ฅ Happy Wednesday!

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Thank you Summer I’m so glad to be getting my to-do-list projects done before winter hits.

9. Deborah says

Love the sign and everything looks so crisp and clean. Sigh. I need motivation to start my Fall decorating but the wedding plans for my daughter takes all my time right now. Some day it will be “me” time.

Deborah, There’s never enough hours in the day ๐Ÿ™ but your daughter’s wedding needs to come first, and you’ll be glad you devoted so much time to the preporations.

Pinned, love your sign.
    Joy

I seriously love that “Sweet Tea” sign. Great tutorial. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle Create, Bake, & Make party. Tweeted and pinned.

Sharon thank you so much for the tweet and pin love ๐Ÿ™‚

Janet thank you for stopping in I’m loving the sign so much and have also made a few for friends it a fast project to do and fun at the same time.

That is just the sweetest Dawn and I love that used pickets for it. So cute! It looks perfect above the door and just add that little something to the room. Thank you so much for linking it up to our Inspiration Galore Projects Party. It’s been pinned and saved.

Lisa thank a bunch for sharing the pin love too.

Love your DIY. Thanks for joining us at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.

14. Maura says

Love the signs!What would I google to find the letters?thanks!

Maura I make my own letters on my computer, you can modpodge them on or trace them and paint them. If you google it look for vinyl letters.