LOGGING RED PINE TREES TO MAKE REPAIRS AND RENOVATIONS TO OUR LOG CABIN HOME. WE’VE TAKEN THE BARK OFF THE ONES THAT WILL BE USED, THEY’LL NEED TO DRY FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND THEN THEY CAN BE TAKEN TO THE SAW MILL AND CUT INTO REPLACEMENT LOGS!
Home repair, it’s a project that never ends especially when you live in a log cabin and this year we have a big project on our hands. We’ll be renovating the cabins exterior by logging red pine trees and replacing damaged and rotted logs.
We started building the cabin in 2005, it took us 5 years to complete, and moved in the spring of 2010. That being said we have about 4 logs that are rotting and need to be take out and replaced. All I can think of is Linken Logs, you take one out and the whole place will topple down but hubby assures me that’s not the case.
We had the opportunity to do some logging for a friend so we took advantage of it. His farm happened to have red pine on it and that’s what the cabins made of so it was the perfect situation. The boys and hubby logged off the area, brought the trees home, debarked the ones we need, and the rest was cut up into fire wood to use in the fire pit.
Once the logs have air dried we’ll take them to a friends saw mill and he’ll cut them into 8X8 logs and we’ll replace the rotting ones in our home. We have no choice in delaying this project any longer. It should have been done last year but we never had the time to get to it.
After the logs are replaced we’re going to pressure wash the house, restrain it, and rechink it. It all sounds like a lot of work to me. If we’re able to get all the stain off the house we’re planning on changing the color, and if it doesn’t we’ll have to find a color to match the current stain, as that color is no longer made. My color choice this time around will be a cedar tone, although the darker the stain color the longer it lasts without having to be redone.
I love our log home but it’s a lot of upkeep. I told hubby we’ll have to sell it in the next ten years before it needs to be pressure washed and stained again. Hubby and I are getting too old for this kind of work. We did get an estimate to do it and it was $30,000. Talk about knock my socks off! Well there’s no way we’re spending that kind of money so we’ll be doing the work ourselves along with our boys helping.