One of my favorite meals is a hot bowl of Tomato Basil Soup paired with a gooey three cheese grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. I could eat it at least once a week. I must be my mother’s daughter for sure because she is also a soup and sandwich lover. I have to admit some of the healthy choice soups that come in cans aren’t too bad but nothing tastes better than fresh homemade. And the basil picked straight from the garden is delicious on top.
Here’s a tip:
- If you like your tomato soup, rich and creamy add cream cheese to the recipe…You’ll love it!
- 1 Medium Onion Sliced
- 1T Olive Oil
- 2 Qts Crushed Tomato
- 4 C Chicken Broth
- 3 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 C Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- In an 8 qt. stock pot saute onions and garlic in oil over medium-high heat until soft. Add tomatoes, basil, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. With a stick blender puree the mixture. Add balsamic vinegar and coconut milk.
- also add a pad of butter to the bottom of each bowl. Serve while Hot!
- I also add a pad of butter to the bottom of each bowl before adding the soup.