Ikea Stool Slipcover

I purchased 4 of these $5 Ikea stools to use on our front porch.  I figured they could be used for seating or to place a drink on, and couldn’t beat the price.
I also thought they sure are ugly and don’t fit into my design scheme, so I had to pretty them up by slip-covering them.

I gathered up a drop cloth that I already had on hand and found a pan that was the same size as the stool top.

Traced and cut out the circular top portion.

Measure from the top of the stool to the floor and cut out a strip to be the skirt.
You will want it to be twice as long as needed if you plan on having it gathered.

Set your tension to +3, and your stitch length to 4.5 to make the gather on the skirt.

Stitch the skirt so that it gathers.

Pin around the circle and test the fit before you do the final stitching.

As long as the fit is how you like it serge the final seam.

Then I chose to use a stencil I already had and some fabric spray paint to Pottery Barn it up.

I used some spray adhesive on the back side of the stencil to hold it in place and put a garbage bag over the rest of the slipcover to protect it from paint.

Much better!

Linking up with
HOH

Comments

Really lovely job! The stools look awesome! Angie xo

Your slipcover project is just darling.
    The number stencils are so ‘HOT’ right now.
    Love it!
    Your porch is rocking out with those cute pillows.

Dee

Dawn!!!! I love them!!!!! 🙂 Great job, my friend!
    I want to do something similar with a table I have…On a larger scale…Love the inspiration! Thank you!!!

I went to the Annie Sloan Chalk class this past weekend…I had so much fun and learned a few tricks on how to use the chalk paint…I will post 3 ways to use it…soon…Ill post my practice boards today or tomorrow…:)

DAWN, dawg-gone-it!…you sew too!
    You not only have a green thumb, creativity to make some of the most awesome jewelry, now we find out you sew. You are one amazing lady!
    I love the stools, but now they are over-the-top fantastic.

Hey I’m having my first giveaway June 15th!
    Sure hope you can join us(HappierThanAPigInMud),we are having a cookalong with the Pillsbury Doughboy and I’m giving away a Pillsbury cookbook and a doughboy.
    ~JO
    Lazyonloblolly

That is sew fantastic ;). I have one of those stools and never thought to do something like this but just might. Thanks for the inspirations.

Very clever and creative, Dawn! Luv this project! They look very professional and straight from the PB catalog!!! 🙂 Nice job!

xoxo laurie

7. Anonymous says

Your little skirts are so cute! And very simple to make, the numbers are such a great touch and simple too, it seems. Thanks for showing us how you did it all, that is what really inspires me.
    Hugs, Cindy

Wow!!!! Those turned out so cute! I love the numbers painted on them as well!

Melissa
    vintagemellie.blogspot.com

What a great way to dress up those stools! I love Ikea. Their prices are great. You made this $5 stool look like it was much more expensive!

Jeanine