How to Create Circular Photos in PicMonkey

Girls playing in Leaves

Today I am going to show you how to create a circular photo in PicMonkey, the free program. This photo is from a recent photo shoot I did with these two adorable sisters, kids enjoy photos so much more when they can have some fun, so into the leaf pile they went .

Girls

This is a great way to add a little style to the bio-pic most of us have in our side bars or our about page or just add a little flair to a post page. There’s just something pleasing about a circle to the eye.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 7.59.50 AM

Step 1:  Open the photo you will be making into a circle into the “Basic Edit” option, Choose “Crop”, and “Square” from the drop down menu, and position the square over the portion of the photo that will become the circle and hit “Apply”.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 8.00.03 AM

You will now have a nice, evenly sized, square photo.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 8.00.20 AM

Step 2: Choose the “Frames” option “Rounded Corner”.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 8.00.42 AM

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 8.01.17 AM Now you will have a nice round photo with a transparent background.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 8.01.38 AM

Now you will need to save your project and this is where you will change the dimensions to make your circle the size that works for you. Save it to your computer and apply it to your blog.  How easy is that??? and if you are looking for other PicMonkey tutorials you can find them here.

PinIt

Circular Photo Tutorial

Signature

Comments

nice tutorial Dawn, does PicMonkey let you change the background colour on the image so that when you add it to a page with a different colour background you can make it match so the white doesn’t show?

Linda, you need to put a check mark in the transparent box and then there will be no color at all to the background and it will match whatever background you currently have. (it’s Step 3: Move the “Corner Radius Bar” all the way to the right, and put a check mark in the “Transparent Corners” box. Hit “Apply”)

Great tutorial. I am pinning so I won’t forget. xo Laura

Thanks for pinning Laura, it is nice to have a place like Pinterest to store all these things:)

Thanks, Dawn! What would we do without PicMonkey?

xo
    Claudia

great post, I’m sure there’s so much more that I don’t know about, thanks for sharing this!!

Debra, I am amazed at how many things Picmonkey is adding, for free it is the best program out there.

I love PicMonkey!!! — but, have never stopped to figure this “circle” out! So easy! Thanks for the tip. Great info. *pin

Sally, you get so many features with Picmonkey it is well worth playing around with.

6. Rondell says

How neat…just pinned this and have to try it soon!

Rondell, Picmonkey is really expanding it’s tools, and there is so many creative things you can do with it now.

Hi Dawn,
    Love PIcmonkey pretty easy to understand and use.
    Kris

Kris, it is the perfect program for everyone, no learning curve at all.

Kim, so glad you find it looks easy:) that’s why I love this program.

Ha! I never knew but this makes perfect sense. Thank you for these tutorials…they are so helpful!

Ann, it is so much easier than photoshop so why not use it:)

Thanks for the tutorial! I am obsessed with circle photos right now. I am so excited to try this right now. 🙂

Jane, funny you say that I have a tutorial coming out that turns these photos into ornaments. Great minds think alike (at least in blog land) LOL

I need to “play” with PicMonkey more often…great pics!

Shirley, it is a great program for free and it can do more than people know.

Thank you for this neat tutorial. What I like about it is how you explain practical and wonderful ways to use the Picmonkey features. I would have not thought of using the rounded frame in this way. Very cool.

Mary, yes this feature is fun to use for something different.

12. lorene holbrook says

I have a question about pic monkey. how do you pay for the royal on pic monkey? I have been trying to pay for it and it won’t let me. thanks….

Lorene, right now they are free so that’s probably why it won’t let you pay. Use the royals for free as long as you can and then pay when the offer expires.

Thank you Jennifer and for free you can’t beat the program.

Hi, I wonder if you can help, I followed your instructions taking the radius bar all the way to the right and clicking transparent, I was successful in creating a circle pic which works well on a white background but despite numerous attempts I’m still finding that as my blog page is coloured I am getting a white square behind the circle 🙁
    Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I’d be very grateful if you can help

Kimmie

Make sure you are hitting Apply when you check the transparent option, the background should be a grey and white check pattern indicating it is transparent. I have done this several times and it works every time, I think you may be missing hitting the “Apply” button. Try it again and let me know please.

Yes I did hit apply and did as you say get a grey/white checkered background. The images work perfectly on white background but unfortunately once I apply them to my blog which has a pink background they show up as a circled image inside a white square 🙁
        Oh well never mind, I’d not thought of rounded images before stumbling upon your tutorial on pinterest so while it’s something I quite like the idea of, it’s not the end of the world 🙂
        Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, I’ll check out some of your other Pic monkey tutorials – It’s fun learning even if I’m not always successful 🙂
        Kimmie

Kimmie, I think it’s because you have the white shadow effect enabled on your blog. I looked at your other photos and see a white box around all of those. There is a code that will remove that and I bet then the circle will work perfectly 🙂 Let me know if you want the code.

Oh Thank you Dawn, It was kind of you to go to the trouble of looking at my other pics, yes please I would like the code – TBH I’ve never liked the white square around my other pics but never knew how to remove it 🙂 Along with the code would you mind explaining briefly how I use the code – Iv’e been blogging for over a year now but there is still so much I’m not sure of.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your taking time out to help me on my bloggy journey 🙂
            Kimmie x

14. sona says

Wondering how Imight do this to use in a photo book since they only accept JPG. Is there some way to save it to computer then make it into a JPG for use in other places since I dont have a blog??? thank you ahead.

Hello, I want to subscribe for this weblog to take latest updates, thus where can i do it please help
    out.