Cottage Style Lamp from a Gargae Sale Find

Most of you saw my Cottage Style lamp a few day’s ago in my Home Office Space.
I thought I would give you a look at it before, and tell you how I achieved the look.
 I found this dark, lovely at a garage sale for $2 and all it needed was a little dusting (which I didn’t do)  What I did do was rip all the black fabric and beads from the shade leaving me with a wire frame.
 I gave the base a coat of “Colonial Red” spray paint and while that was drying I ripped fabric into 1″ long strips.
Make sure you choose a variety of patterns from large to small and a variety of colors to get that cottage feel.

Next step, plop yourself in front of the TV and find a good movie to watch, attaching all those fabric strips is going to take a while.

This size shade took an hour to create.

Tie a fabric strip to the top and the bottom of the shading working all the way around until you reach the desired fullness.

Not only is it a great way to use up fabric scraps, it also turns out pretty darn cute.  This would be a great project for a child’s bedroom.

Linking up with
Marvelously Messy
Under the Table and Dreaming
Between Naps on the Porch
The Dedicated House
Cozy Little House
Primp Junction
Savvy Southern Style

Comments

Thanks for the tutorial. I LOVE that little lamp!

Love this Dawn,I’m so happy to see the before and after,This is fabulous!!I want to try this too,soon as I run across and old lamp,I’m gonna copycat!!

oh my word – soooooo much better after – so bright & fresh & happy! I have a little lamp that I’ve already painted red and I’ve been in collecting mode for happy looking scraps to do just this same thing! my poor little lampshade is looking bare and lonely awaiting those scraps!

This is one of the best “repurposed” items i have ever seen! I would just adore this in my living room…:) Thanks for the post!

Dawn, you wrote that you tore the strips into 1″ pieces . . did you mean 1″ wide? If so, how much longer than the lanp shade did you make the strips?

I found your post on The Dedicated HOuse.

I think this is the cutest shade I have seen in a long time! I happen to have a couple of shades that could use a facelift. I may just give your method a try!

Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

Adorable, darling and just too darn cute!! I’m now on the hunt for a lamp and shade so I too can work some magic! Thanks for sharing.

Oh and I just got rid of a cute lamp shade. I love how your lamp turned out, the colors are great. Now I have to look for another one. Oh well-back to Goodwill!

Love this craft! I have two lamps sitting out in the garage awaiting the next sale, but I just might rethink that!

That’s just so clever, and cheerful! Your whole home is just dreamy. I’m loving looking through your wonderful blog, I found you through Brenda! Just added you to my blogroll, I’ll be visiting often!
    Cheers, Andrea

Love it. Picked up a shade at sales last week with the intention to do “something”. Stripped it down and now am the proud owner of a metal lampshade form. Pinning yours.

~Bliss~

Love the look and the fact that it uses scraps of fabric! There are so many different looks you could get depending on the fabric…beautiful!

How incredibly sweet! I love your creativity! What fun colors and prints and such a warm light your lamp must shed!
    Thank you for sharing this darling creation!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn
    I am happy to become your newest follower!

I saw one made somewhat like this on another blog, however yours is so much cuter! I have a shade I ripped the cover off and have done nothing with it yet. I have been wanting to introduce a little red and red gingham in my home and this is perfect! I am now inspired to get my fabric scraps out and start in! Love this!

15. Anonymous says

So Love this ,the minute I seen it ,had to make it,went into the thrift store bought 2 shades $1.98 ,had bags of scraps free ,1 hour and a half later done.Just beautiful thanks for sharing such a beautiful easy craft.Rhonda