How to Save Money of Decorative Pillow Fabric

How to Save Money of Decorative Pillow Fabric | Creative Cain Cabin I’m pulling out some of my fabric stash to make new fall pillows using the turquoise that I’m going with this season and I wanted to share with you how I save money on fabric.

1. Always use a coupon, most fabric or craft stores have their own app and will honor each others coupons.

2. Buy enough yardage of the fancy expensive fabric that you love for the front of the pillow only.

3. Buy a plain cotton ducking fabric for the back of the pillows. You can get this for 1/4 of the cost of the designer fabric.

4. Make your pillow slip removable (envelope style) that way you can reuse the pillow form and clean the pillow covers.

How to Save Money On Decorative Pillow Fabric | Creative Cain Cabin

I normally pick up ducking when it’s under $3 a yard. I try and stick with neutral colors that will work with most anything, that way I always have a supply on hand for when I’m ready to make new sofa pillows. So far this is what I’ve made new for this fall. I spent the weekend changing over my slipcovers so stop back by and see it all pulled together.

dawn

Comments

Love that bird print! Where did you find that one? I love using a solid coordinated fabric for the back of my pillows. Great idea with the duck cloth, especially if the pillows are going outside.
    Hugs …

Lani, the bird print came from Hobby Lobby and it was a recent purchase so it should still be in the stores.

Great tips – I have never made sofa pillows but am inspired to do so, thanks! (PS: I love that bird print, too)

Barbara, They are so easy you should give it a try. I love that you can choose your fabric rather than buy a premade pillow that’s not really your favorite.

Love the bird print. I always make my pillows with an envelope back, because I am too lazy to sew in zippers ๐Ÿ™‚
    xo Laura

Laura, LOL I have never tried a zipper so maybe that’s my excuse too.

Kris, The bird print was a new adventure for me, it’s not something I would normally buy but it turned out to be my favorite in the end.

4. Kathleen G says

Love the bird print too! Envelope pillow cases is pretty much what my sister makes. Kris has made so many types of pillows through the years for me and my daughter. Just wonderful to have a sister that enjoys sewing, quilting, canning, etc. Very grateful. I tell her about the blogs I read and I know she’ll love them like I do. I appreciate what you all do. Very inspiring. Kathleen in Az

Kathleen, how wonderful to have a sister that makes them for you. That would be great.

5. Kris says

LOVE that print! That is exactly how I do pillows too!
    xo Kris

Kris, it’s a great way to save a little money ๐Ÿ™‚

Love, love, love that bird print, Dawn. Wish I had some of that fabric!

xo
    Claudia

Claudia I am so glad I actually had time to do some sewing, this school thing is out of control with homework ๐Ÿ™ Very frustrated with it all.

Susan, I have the pics all done, now just to find the time to post them.

I love your pillow covers – great fabric choices. Isn’t it amazing how a few new pillows on the sofa give the whole room a lift and a totally different look? I think I’ll take a look through my stash or, better yet, take a trip to the fabric store. Thanks for the inspiration, Dawn.

Susan, you are right just changing the throw pillows gives it new life.

8. Nancy Blue Moon says

I love the bird print too Dawn..great sewing tips..one of the best things about being able to sew is that you can pick whatever fabric you fall in love with and make it into something special..Sorry I haven’t been by to visit lately..I stopped receiving notification of your posts in my email again and I am so forgetful without a reminder..I am going to try to catch up with you today as it looks like you have been doing some pretty things for the season..

Dawn, I always love coming to your blog! You have the best images and tip and ideas!!! I l’d love to look through your fabric piles!!!

Yvonne, I have gotten so much better and now I only purchase fabric if I have a project in mine. I was in several fabric stores yesterday and only purchased 2 yards for a table runner. I was proud of myself.

Love your pillows. Have you found a good place to purchase pillow form fills for a reasonable price?

Kristi, the best price is IKEA if you have one near you.