Raised Bed Garden Planting

Mulched Flower Bed | Log Home | Perennial Garden | Porch Decor | CreativeCainCabin.comHubby and I have been busy as can be. If you remember last weekend we mulched the flowers and added new raised garden beds to the landscaping. I thought you might like to see it all complete. Here’s the fresh truckload of mulch, I’m hoping it keeps the weeds down or at least makes it easier to pull them. I find the weeds don’t get a good root system when I mulch, and they pull right out by hand rather than having to use a small garden spade to dig them out.

Garden Pepper Plants | Raised Garden Bed | CreativeCainCabin.comNext after all the dirt was added to the beds I got planting. I added enough to support my family’s needs and also supply fresh produce to my parents, who are living in the guest house for the summer.

Planted Raised Garden Beds | CreativeCainCabin.comThe 2 beds you see with only dirt in them actually have cucumber and green bean seeds planted. I never get starter plants for them because they come up so fast from just planting seeds. It only takes about 5 days for them to emerge from the soil. It’s an easy way to save a little money, I would rather buy my tomato plants as starters.

Tomato Plants & Cages | Raised Bed Garden | Vegetable Garden | CreativeCainCabin.comI ended up with 15 tomato plants, all heirloom varieties. I find the heirloom don’t produce as many tomatoes but the flavor is so much better. Has anyone else experienced that too? I guess I’m funny about planting a seedling that’s been genetically altered in some way. Just give me the good ole fashioned variety.

Adjustable Tomato Cage | Vegetable Garden | Raised Bed Garden | Creativecaincabin.com Below is a link to my favorite tomato cage, I have tried several kinds over the years but this one is perfect in my opinion.

Tomato Cage and Plant Markers

1. Cheryl Major says

Your beds look wonderful. Nothing tastes as good as homegrown ! That would be a solution to my Rocky property.

Cheryl I love that I don’t have to till the soil, and weeding is easier. You should try a bed in your area and see how it goes.

Those adjustable tomato cages are a great solution and looks like they could be used for any kind of climbing plant…Love your beds and can’t wait to see your the progress of your garden.

Shirley, I actually use the cages for my tall flowers and to fence in small shrubs so no one hit’s them with the lawn mower. They are great for most anything in the garden.

Linda I sure hope so. I fertilized the soil organically and purchased some fish emulsion to help it all grow. I sure hope it works!

LOVE how you made the raised beds, Dawn. We have them too and love love love them. Thanks for the info on the tomato cages!!!

Yvonne, you should get some of the cages, they are adjustable and work great.

4. nancy says

Here in California we use Redwood or plain old Doug Fir for raised beds…never occurred to me to use Peeler Posts…great idea and a really nice look. Good job!

Nancy, they are called landscape timbers here in the north.

I am dreaming of creating raised beds like yours, Dawn.
    Your plants are sure looking healthy!
    I have grown heirloom seeds in the past too. I like that
    you can collect the seed for next years garden.

Kim, I’ve never tried to collect my seeds I always just buy new plants. I may give it a go this year if I remember though!!