How To Make A Garden Orb Without Tools

How to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesI’m really into using rocks sculptural pieces in my landscape design this year plus they just look good and fit in with a rustic log cabin. I’d picked up 2 wire hanging baskets on the clearance rack at Menards just before the spring planting season was even on anyone’s mind. I knew I wanted to create an orb filled with rocks and surround it with lavender inside one of the 3 whiskey barrels I’m using for flowers this year. The project is easy peasy and no tools required so that’s a big high five.

How to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesHow to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesHow to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesHow to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip Ties

First the wire baskets came in blue (probably the reason for the clearance rack) and I wanted them black so of course I resorted to my favorite project tool, a can of black spray paint. Once that dried the fun began. I added dirt to the barrel about half way full, planted the lavender around the perimeter, and added a big flat rock in the center for the orb to rest on. I stacked as many rocks as I could in the one half of the the orb (the bottom half) and carefully put the other basket over the rocks and secured the edges with 3 black zip ties. Next I dropped a handful of rocks through the wire to fill it the remainder of the way.

How to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesEasy as can be and I like the organic natural feel it has. For around $3 I completed the whole project and it makes me happy when I pass it by. I tend to get excited about the stupidest things, but I guess it’s not silly if I enjoy it.

How to Make a Garden Orb Without Tools All You'll Need is 2 Wire Hanging Planters and 3 Zip TiesI have 5 varieties of lavender planted and 2 are blooming right now. It smells heavenly when I walk by and I can’t wait to harvest some.

sig

Comments

Diana I love cheap garden art and this piece is a favorite of mine.

1. Kathleen G says

I’m liking it! Especially using you own rocks, expensive to buy. Handsome Shepherd too:)
    Kathleen in Az

Kathleen that darn dog seems to get in every shot. She was taking a rest from swimming in the pond so I hated to disturb here. I’m always amazed when people have to buy rocks they’re everywhere around me and for free.

2. Becky says

I like it. It’s a great idea. I had lavender for almost twenty years and then it died out last year. I bought more to replant this year bc I love it so much. I can’t remember the variety I planted years ago though, do you have a certain one that is your favorite?

Becky I have a post coming up with the varieties I plant and like so stay tuned for that. I lost a big patch of lavender one year from heavy snow. My hubby plowed and the huge 8ft mound of snow was on it most of the winter and I think it smothered it. From my experience lavender is a plant that likes to be dry and neglected.

Beautiful idea!….I just bought some lavender…hope that it stays healthy…I have not done well with it in the past, so trying again!

Shirley my trick is to plant several varieties of lavender and normally one of them will be the type for your soil and location and then stick with that one for future plantings.

Thanks Carolyn I really like the natural feel it has to it. Nothing fancy!

Love the rock orb, just happen to have a couple of those wire baskets in the garage, and of course there are plenty of rocks :). Thanks for sharing.

Linda I have plent of rocks too, I’m always amazed when people have to pay for them. I’ve never lived in a place that rocks aren’t free, lol.

What a great idea Dawn, They look so cool and the lavender will compliment them . You sure have talent !

Cheryl yesterday I added a few more colorful plants around the orb and I’ll loving it even more. I find myself looking out the window just to take a peek at it’s beauty.

Dawn, this is such a cool idea! We love rocks too…in fact, I just stated that in a post this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your orbs are a great DIY and rocks never die.

Stacey I always have the most fun with free or inexpensive projects and I love the natural look it has against our rustic log home. Thank you for dropping in ๐Ÿ™‚

Jane you need to come to my house and I’ll load you up with as many stones in any size you want.

Thank you Laura I seem to have a thing for rock this year.