DIY Solar Lamp

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page

Solar Mason Jar Lights | DIY, All You Need Is A Hot Glue Gun | Creative Cain CabinThis is an easy DIY project that can be done in less than 30 minutes (depending on how many solar lights you will be making). Since we don’t have electricity on the porch yet I decided to whip up some soft lighting for the evening hours and decided solar was the only way to go.

DIY Solar Mason Jar Lights | Creative Cain Cabin What you will need: Small mouth mason jars, solar garden lights, and a hot glue gun. I purchased the solar garden stakes at Menards, but they sell them every where (the dollar store, Wally world, any home improvement store, or hardware). They normally run around $2 each. All I did was remove the stem (the part that pokes into the ground) and run a bead of hot glue around the rim of the jar. Next place the solar cap on top and let the glue set up.

DIY Solar Mason Jar Lights | Creative Cain Cabin
It couldn’t be easier, and if you ever tire of them just remove the solar portion, run the jars through the dishwasher and reuse them how ever you choose. They make a great addition to our front porch and helps light the path. Don’t forget to save the stems you can always use the for there intended purpose in your garden if you decided to do so. Go give it a try, it’s a fun and rewarding project!

dawn

Comments

This is one of the best DIY projects I’ve ever seen. I’m headed to Lowes in the morning to pick up some solar lights and give this a try. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are one step ahead of my, Creative Girl! I just found some of these on Etsy and pinned them on Pinterest. It was on that very lengthy list of “things to try”. You’ve made it easy now – thank you for sharing your wonderful creations! I just love these. Also thought of trying them with my blue mason jars, but with my luck I’d probably get them broken.. lol.. that would be bad. -Tammy

Bill, They are the 100 year anniversary ones or you can use vintage blue mason jars. I believe you can still purchase them trough Amazon online :)

• Frank! says

Most craft or hobby stores sell liquid stain for stained glass projects with many colors to choose from. Paint on the INSIDE of the jar though and let it dry well first, then glue on the light units. If you’re REALLY creative, you could paint black lines inside the jar with a small artist’s brush. (Bend the metal part of the brush with a pliers to about a 45 degree angle, and that will make it easier to paint designs inside the jars. For indoor use, you can paint on the outsides, but the raised lettering on the jars can be a problem.) Then, fill in between the black lines with several colors of stained glass paints, and make some truly colorful lanterns, but remember… the darker colors will cut down on the amount of light from the solar light.

Great idea!…love it, looks fantastic!..you are so creative, I have ton’s of jars, I could do this and I do love this idea best, as to hubby ain’t real keen on candles, he don’t like them period.
    Open flame thing, he worrie’s about you know…FIRE!(boy-O-boy we have had enuff fire and smoke in southeast Georgia.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

this is wonderful! i am totally going to do this! i have mason jars along my fence, hanging, and i was thinking candles but this is WAY better!!

I think I am going to try to incorporate this idea with an old chandy that I bought a Goodwill for $1.00. I am working on taking it apart, repainting, and then hanging it on my porch. What a great idea. I will see what I can come up with and post on Wow Us Wednesday on Saavy Southern Style.

Cute idea, they look like candles at night!!! Where I live it’s Very windy so I would probably fill the jars with pretty colored vase filler to weigh it down. Thanks for the great idea!

Who would have thunk it? !!!!
    I picked up four lights at Fleet Farm (love my Fleet Farm). $2 each. They are fabulous! Here’s my fun part. Big storm rolled through the other night. Thinking that we could lose power (again)I brought them inside. I put one in my bathroom. Glowed all night long. I love them. Thank you for the inspiration!

Snooping around your blog this morn….. do you know how many times I wanted to light my walk way but candles were out of the question for one reason or another? I knew I should of snapped up the seasonal clearance solar lights!

~Bliss~

9. Anonymous says

What an amazing and useful idea..i love that they are portable and can be used wherever you go! Would be fun for a romantic evening on the beach. Thanks for sharing! <3

10. Anonymous says

You could even color/mod podge/bake the insides of the clear jars for a bit of color! The glue should help seal them so rain water can’t streak the colors :) Love it!

11. Anonymous says

Was thinking of adding colored glass marbles or a thin colored plastic membrane inside to give it a color.

I put blue marbles in my jars….have them across my porch…you can find inexpensive solar lights at Dollar General for two dollars each..be sure to keep it turned to the sun….put a lid on your jar so you never worry about wind or rain….

12. Anonymous says

Very Nice!
    I like the light pattern given out by you leaving the clear plastic base on the solar light!
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh my GOODNESS!!! How smart and clever is this!!! and I love the way the glass reflects the light!!!! got to go get some mason jars~I already have the solar lights!!! So much more appealing than all the plastic!!!!! Love it!!!

• Anonymous says

It is easy to break the seal, if using hot glue. Just cut with a utility knife or razor blade. You can then reseal it after changing batteries. Or…glue/caulk the solar light to the screw-on mason jar lid. That makes it easy to remove the top to replace batteries, or to add pretty items to the inside of jar.

Awesome idea, by the way. And love the photo ideas! Sooooo much safer and better than candles or oil. Thanks! ~Connie

14. Heather says

like the jar idea, i have put some of my lights into vases when the stem gets broken. The jars seem to give more light effect. Thanks!!!

15. Anonymous says

I used old bamboo tiki torches.. replace the oil can thing in the tiki torch with your solar light. Nice and tall, throws some interesting light patterns.

16. franny d. says

I have 6of the electric insolators,didnt know what to do with them.I am going to the store tomorrow to get solar lights.I am so excited. Had them for 3years

17. Anonymous says

I have also seen the mason jars wrapped around the rim with twine,leaving a loop for a handle, and then putting a tea light or small candle inside-then hang it inside or outside on a hook for cute ambiance!

18. Anonymous says

This is great because if there is a storm and you have no power you can bring them in the house safe and little children are not at danger, put them back out in the day to recharge themselves

19. Anonymous says

I did this, but glued the solar light to the rim of the lid ring without the inset and that way if the light doesn’t work, you can change it out with ease. I used the quilted jelly canning jars and painted the inside of the jars. Added a colorful ribbon on the outside of the lid. Looks great. I made a set of six for myself and six more for a present.

The Dollar Store lights fit really nicely on my jars; I didn’t even have to glue them. They fit right under the screw on lid of the jar. The only problem with $ store lights is they aren’t quite as bright……

Great timing. I had an extra solar light lying on the kitchen counter so I walked over pulled a jar from under the counter, pulled off the stake to the light and plopped in on the jar. Seconds! I love it. Look for a post about it on my blog tomorrow. for what it’s worth

22. Anonymous says

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s articles or reviews all the time along with a mug of coffee.

Also visit my blog post :: sort

23. Anonymous says

Hi there everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful for me, keep up posting these articles.

my page; wine chiller ()

24. Anonymous says

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite
    justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined
    out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.

Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my webpage – dieta Mediterranea

25. Anonymous says

Just a thought…you can use them all year long. Keep them in a sunny window in the winter. I used the solar lights when my senile dad lived here and I was afraid to use candles when we had power outages. I had to go out and pull them out of the ground. No more. How cute is that to sit on the vanity when having a party. Kathy

26. Anonymous says

Great idea – but.. I am thinking that if you want to re-use the jars or use lights as originally made later – DON’T use glue – they should just ‘sit’ in the jar fine without it (or use some king or more temporary glue stuff) :-)

27. Dianne says

If you glue the solar lights to the jar lids instead, you can change batteries on the lights if need be. It works great.

28. Linda says

I would love to do this as we live on a horse farm and the walk from the car to the house after dark is a buggar, however we have so many animals glass would not be good. Gotta think of a plastic that I can weigh down with something.

• Kristen Gorsuch says

I’ve seen tupperwear that might be around the same size as these jars or look at dollar stores and then weigh down with the glass rocks or river rocks that can often be picked up pretty inexpensively at craft stores or dollar/discount stores. I’ve also seen a lantern looking one made of metal, from Ikea, that was made to put a candle in but I’m sure the solar lights would fit in that as well, you’d just pop off the top of the lantern and put in the solar light and then you could hang the lanterns, or even wire wrap the mason jars and hang them instead of having them on the ground.

29. Jenny says

I have brought mine inside when I lost power…..they really do give off quite a bit of lite, and most will stay lit all nite long

I just saw this idea of yours on the Dollar Store Crafts blog :)
    I’m making some hanging solar lanterns this year with glass bowls etc from dollar stores and grift stores.
    We have so many ideas in common, I just know we would be great friends in person.

31. Michelle Jenkins says

i bet this would be cute with the big decor stones in the jars. can change the color of rock according to the season or holiday.

32. Robin says

I love this idea. I was going to make something similar with a candle, but I like the idea of the solar light. I was also going to paint the inside of my jar with a mixture of Elmer’s glue, water and different colors of glitter mixed in. Can’t wait to put both of these ideas together.

33. Mary says

I made something like this last summer and I added a palmful of the colored glass stones that you can buy the bagful at the dollar store. The stones give the jar some weight so they don’t tip or blow over easily. and the stones look pretty. You can use a variety of things inside to give some weight, sea shells, small white landscape stones, pea gravel. Another cool idea would be to use the blue mason jars they are selling now.

Some of us would like our kitchens renovated but we all know kitchen renovations can be expensive especially if you don’t have enough funds to do
    it. However, you don’t have to be an artist to accomplish this.
    For this thing you will need some papers, a pair of scissors, colors and paint brushes, a gum and some ribbons and boards.

35. Anna says

I wonder if you could use the glow in the dark paint as well to give it some color. I was going to try doing the glow in the dark lights this weekend.

Trackbacks