DIY Solar Lamp

Solar Mason Jar Lights | DIY, All You Need Is A Hot Glue Gun | Creative Cain CabinThis is an easy DIY project that can be done in less than 30 minutes (depending on how many solar lights you will be making). Since we don’t have electricity on the porch yet I decided to whip up some soft lighting for the evening hours and decided solar was the only way to go.

DIY Solar Mason Jar Lights | Creative Cain CabinWhat you will need: Small mouth mason jars, solar garden lights, and a hot glue gun. I purchased the solar garden stakes at Menards, but they sell them every where (the dollar store, Wally world, any home improvement store, or hardware). They normally run around $2 each. All I did was remove the stem (the part that pokes into the ground) and run a bead of hot glue around the rim of the jar. Next place the solar cap on top and let the glue set up.

DIY Solar Mason Jar Lights | Creative Cain Cabin
It couldn’t be easier, and if you ever tire of them just remove the solar portion, run the jars through the dishwasher and reuse them however you choose. They make a great addition to our front porch and helps light the path. Don’t forget to save the stems you can always use the for there intended purpose in your garden if you decided to do so. Go give it a try, it’s a fun and rewarding project!

Email Subscribe

dawn

Comments

Connie they are from Menards and they are hot glued on.

• Shharon says

I will have to try this,but maybe add some color to the mason jar! Thanks for the great idea.

Sharon, Some people use the blue or green mason jars for color πŸ™‚

• Mona says

Put glass beads in the jars for color & added weight so they don’t blow over.

Brilliant idea Mona πŸ™‚

• Mary says

They now sell the colored mason jars with the wire handles they are the cutest, this way you can hang them or carry if you need too. They are at Wal Mart.

Mary, I know…I think the took bloggers ideas and ran with it. LOL

• Mary says

Please remember to get the jar the same size as the light, also they sell different size mason jars, I can jellies so when you go to buy check out the different sizes and then of course they have the wide mouth jars. This should be interesting to make, I have canning jars so I just need the lights, going to make them for the grandchildren, they will love them on the patio at night.

Mary, I find the small mouth jars fit several of the solar lights that are on the market.

• janice says

the lights are hot glued to the top of the jar. you can buy the lights at wall mart

Janice, I bet you can just make sure they are the same size as the jar you are using.

• Dagmar Bastiks says

I have found cheap solar lights at the local dollar store in Jacksonville, FL

• Alicia D Harvin says

you can get the screw on lights on ebay! Kinda pricey!

Alicia I think they invented those after I made mine.

• Jeri says

You should have patented these. Great idea. Beautiful ideas.

Jeri, thank you. They are fun to make and I think a lot of people are making them.

• Linda Sykora says

We made these a couple years ago but glued the top to the metal mason jar ring that screws onto the jar. Just don’t use the lid with the ring. Then you can just unscrew the top if and when you want.

Linda, brilliant idea πŸ™‚ Thanks for the tip.

• Kathy says

That’s a great idea!!!! :):)

Kathy and they last for years even out in the weather.

• jennifer says

Micheal’s has the screw on mason jar lids but Walmart has the solar lights for a dollar just get a case of mason jars with lids and cut a hole in top and u have it

• Sandra says

Also check the Dollar store. Where i got mine.

• Ruth Griffin says

This is a great way to reuse solar lights that the stands have been broken on!

I agree Ruth πŸ™‚ they seem to break very easy and you are left with just the top portion.

• Judy says

Good idea. Must try it. I think if you add a mirror ( can usually get small round or square ones at Dollar stores) or tin foil, than you should be able to get more light from it as well. Just a thought.

Judy, great idea πŸ™‚ Thanks for the tip!

• vicky says

Whatever you use to make these, and I think they are so cute, remember you can bring them inside to use if the electric goes off.

Vicky, that’s a great use for them πŸ™‚

We have been doing this in the yard for the past few years ! We find it a lot easier to move them than trying to mow or tweed what around the originals . but we don’t bother to glue them in place though .

Ruth, I have to glue or my dog knocks them off.

• Debbie says

What happens when you need to change the battery???

Debbie, I’ve had them for 4 years and have never had to change them, but all you would have to do is run a butter knife around the top where you glued it to break the seal and reglue.

Cute cute cute!
    Dropping by from Met Monday. I hope you’ll come see the safari nursery.

Allison
    Atticmag

This is one of the best DIY projects I’ve ever seen. I’m headed to Lowes in the morning to pick up some solar lights and give this a try. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think you will find the same lights in his directions at Wal-Mart for about 2-3 dollars. Sometimes for one dollar. I buy all mine at Wal-Mart and the glass canning jars.

Mickey, I have never checked Walmart but as long as they are the correct size they will work.

Visiting from Met Monday. Not only do I like this, but I have extra solar lights not being used in my garage. Thanks for the ispiration!

You are one step ahead of my, Creative Girl! I just found some of these on Etsy and pinned them on Pinterest. It was on that very lengthy list of “things to try”. You’ve made it easy now – thank you for sharing your wonderful creations! I just love these. Also thought of trying them with my blue mason jars, but with my luck I’d probably get them broken.. lol.. that would be bad. -Tammy

Bill, They are the 100 year anniversary ones or you can use vintage blue mason jars. I believe you can still purchase them trough Amazon online πŸ™‚

• Louise says

I like the idea of glass beads for color and stabilization. How about crumpled up tinfoil and/or some craft paint?

Louise, you could do almost anything with them.

• michele says

Menards has them 6 pk for around $9.00

Michele that’s a great price and that’s where I purchased them years ago.

• Frank! says

Most craft or hobby stores sell liquid stain for stained glass projects with many colors to choose from. Paint on the INSIDE of the jar though and let it dry well first, then glue on the light units. If you’re REALLY creative, you could paint black lines inside the jar with a small artist’s brush. (Bend the metal part of the brush with a pliers to about a 45 degree angle, and that will make it easier to paint designs inside the jars. For indoor use, you can paint on the outsides, but the raised lettering on the jars can be a problem.) Then, fill in between the black lines with several colors of stained glass paints, and make some truly colorful lanterns, but remember… the darker colors will cut down on the amount of light from the solar light.

Frank, brilliant idea and sounds like it gives off a beautiful color.

Great idea!…love it, looks fantastic!..you are so creative, I have ton’s of jars, I could do this and I do love this idea best, as to hubby ain’t real keen on candles, he don’t like them period.
    Open flame thing, he worrie’s about you know…FIRE!(boy-O-boy we have had enuff fire and smoke in southeast Georgia.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

I have to admit this is something I would never have thought of. I like it!

7. Anonymous says

These cast a lovely light in the evening. How clever. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

I love this idea and will definitely be trying it out!

Saw your link at the Parrtay going on, by the way of Debbiedoos. Great Idea!!!

Peace, Love & Decorate
    Theresa

this is wonderful! i am totally going to do this! i have mason jars along my fence, hanging, and i was thinking candles but this is WAY better!!

Cool idea!! Your solar lights are pretty and white…so many of them are blue, and I don’t like that.

What a fun idea!! Canning jars are one of my favorite decorating accessories. They are so versatile!

What a great idea. I’ve seen those solar lights but wasn’t sure if they actually worked. Good to know they do!

I think I am going to try to incorporate this idea with an old chandy that I bought a Goodwill for $1.00. I am working on taking it apart, repainting, and then hanging it on my porch. What a great idea. I will see what I can come up with and post on Wow Us Wednesday on Saavy Southern Style.

Love this idea!! I would even wrap wire around them and hang them somehow.

Cute idea, they look like candles at night!!! Where I live it’s Very windy so I would probably fill the jars with pretty colored vase filler to weigh it down. Thanks for the great idea!

Who would have thunk it? !!!!
    I picked up four lights at Fleet Farm (love my Fleet Farm). $2 each. They are fabulous! Here’s my fun part. Big storm rolled through the other night. Thinking that we could lose power (again)I brought them inside. I put one in my bathroom. Glowed all night long. I love them. Thank you for the inspiration!

LOVE MASON JARS!!! LOVE THIS IDEA!! This will be our project next week! Thank you for this idea!! ;0)

19. Sue Maxey says

What a great idea! I am not crafty at all! So thanks so much for sharing your creations!

Wow dawn these are GENIUS!…I am so gonna be doing these! Clever lady!

Jo

Snooping around your blog this morn….. do you know how many times I wanted to light my walk way but candles were out of the question for one reason or another? I knew I should of snapped up the seasonal clearance solar lights!

~Bliss~

22. Anonymous says

What an amazing and useful idea..i love that they are portable and can be used wherever you go! Would be fun for a romantic evening on the beach. Thanks for sharing! <3

23. Anonymous says

This could be really beautiful in the old greenish-blue jars too.

24. Anonymous says

You could even color/mod podge/bake the insides of the clear jars for a bit of color! The glue should help seal them so rain water can’t streak the colors πŸ™‚ Love it!

Wow! Love this! I am pinning it. Thank you. πŸ™‚

26. Anonymous says

Where did you get the solar garden lights? And is there a specific size?

27. Anonymous says

Was thinking of adding colored glass marbles or a thin colored plastic membrane inside to give it a color.

I put blue marbles in my jars….have them across my porch…you can find inexpensive solar lights at Dollar General for two dollars each..be sure to keep it turned to the sun….put a lid on your jar so you never worry about wind or rain….

28. Lynn says

I did this but i put decorative rocks in the bottom of the jar.

29. Anonymous says

If you glue the top on, do you ever have to worry about changing the battery?

• Dan says

I have solar lights too. I do like this idea, but Yes, eventually you will need to replace the battery. If you glue this on, you will not be able to access the battery compartment. Batteries only last a few years.

30. Anonymous says

I have a cabin and would love to do this!!! GREAT idea!!!!!

31. Anonymous says

Very Nice!
    I like the light pattern given out by you leaving the clear plastic base on the solar light!
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh my GOODNESS!!! How smart and clever is this!!! and I love the way the glass reflects the light!!!! got to go get some mason jars~I already have the solar lights!!! So much more appealing than all the plastic!!!!! Love it!!!

33. Anonymous says

Cool idea, except for when the battery dies, there’s no way to change it if you use glue

• Anonymous says

It is easy to break the seal, if using hot glue. Just cut with a utility knife or razor blade. You can then reseal it after changing batteries. Or…glue/caulk the solar light to the screw-on mason jar lid. That makes it easy to remove the top to replace batteries, or to add pretty items to the inside of jar.

Awesome idea, by the way. And love the photo ideas! Sooooo much safer and better than candles or oil. Thanks! ~Connie

• Dan says

of course. Didnt thing about attaching to the screw on lid. Now this is a really great idea. πŸ™‚

Dan, it works great and I have had mine for about 3 years now.

34. Heather says

like the jar idea, i have put some of my lights into vases when the stem gets broken. The jars seem to give more light effect. Thanks!!!

35. Anonymous says

I used old bamboo tiki torches.. replace the oil can thing in the tiki torch with your solar light. Nice and tall, throws some interesting light patterns.

36. franny d. says

I have 6of the electric insolators,didnt know what to do with them.I am going to the store tomorrow to get solar lights.I am so excited. Had them for 3years

37. Anonymous says

I have also seen the mason jars wrapped around the rim with twine,leaving a loop for a handle, and then putting a tea light or small candle inside-then hang it inside or outside on a hook for cute ambiance!

38. Anonymous says

This is great because if there is a storm and you have no power you can bring them in the house safe and little children are not at danger, put them back out in the day to recharge themselves

39. Anonymous says

I did this, but glued the solar light to the rim of the lid ring without the inset and that way if the light doesn’t work, you can change it out with ease. I used the quilted jelly canning jars and painted the inside of the jars. Added a colorful ribbon on the outside of the lid. Looks great. I made a set of six for myself and six more for a present.

• Dianne says

I did the same things and even added a ribbon around the edge and painted the jars with colored mod podge.

The Dollar Store lights fit really nicely on my jars; I didn’t even have to glue them. They fit right under the screw on lid of the jar. The only problem with $ store lights is they aren’t quite as bright……

Great timing. I had an extra solar light lying on the kitchen counter so I walked over pulled a jar from under the counter, pulled off the stake to the light and plopped in on the jar. Seconds! I love it. Look for a post about it on my blog tomorrow. for what it’s worth

42. Anonymous says

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this webpage’s articles or reviews all the time along with a mug of coffee.

Also visit my blog post :: sort

43. Anonymous says

Hi there everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful for me, keep up posting these articles.

my page; wine chiller ()

44. Anonymous says

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite
    justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined
    out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.

Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my webpage – dieta Mediterranea

45. Anonymous says

Just a thought…you can use them all year long. Keep them in a sunny window in the winter. I used the solar lights when my senile dad lived here and I was afraid to use candles when we had power outages. I had to go out and pull them out of the ground. No more. How cute is that to sit on the vanity when having a party. Kathy

46. Anonymous says

Great idea – but.. I am thinking that if you want to re-use the jars or use lights as originally made later – DON’T use glue – they should just ‘sit’ in the jar fine without it (or use some king or more temporary glue stuff) πŸ™‚

47. Dianne says

If you glue the solar lights to the jar lids instead, you can change batteries on the lights if need be. It works great.

Dianne, thanks for the tip, so far mine have been out for about 4 years and I haven’t had to change a battery yet.

48. Linda says

I would love to do this as we live on a horse farm and the walk from the car to the house after dark is a buggar, however we have so many animals glass would not be good. Gotta think of a plastic that I can weigh down with something.

• Kristen Gorsuch says

I’ve seen tupperwear that might be around the same size as these jars or look at dollar stores and then weigh down with the glass rocks or river rocks that can often be picked up pretty inexpensively at craft stores or dollar/discount stores. I’ve also seen a lantern looking one made of metal, from Ikea, that was made to put a candle in but I’m sure the solar lights would fit in that as well, you’d just pop off the top of the lantern and put in the solar light and then you could hang the lanterns, or even wire wrap the mason jars and hang them instead of having them on the ground.

Kristen, yes I have seen them used in many ways too and love all the looks.

Walmart sells the mason jars in plastic now, if you’r interested in trying them and the solar lights are also plastic.

• Judy says

Mayo jars seem to take the same size lids. Mom used them for canning years ago!

Judy I used small mouth jars, they were the exact size of my lights.

49. Jenny says

I have brought mine inside when I lost power…..they really do give off quite a bit of lite, and most will stay lit all nite long

Jenny, good for you Im so glad they worked out πŸ™‚

I just saw this idea of yours on the Dollar Store Crafts blog πŸ™‚
    I’m making some hanging solar lanterns this year with glass bowls etc from dollar stores and grift stores.
    We have so many ideas in common, I just know we would be great friends in person.

51. Michelle Jenkins says

i bet this would be cute with the big decor stones in the jars. can change the color of rock according to the season or holiday.

52. Robin says

I love this idea. I was going to make something similar with a candle, but I like the idea of the solar light. I was also going to paint the inside of my jar with a mixture of Elmer’s glue, water and different colors of glitter mixed in. Can’t wait to put both of these ideas together.

Robin, brilliant idea girl they will look marvelous.

53. Mary says

I made something like this last summer and I added a palmful of the colored glass stones that you can buy the bagful at the dollar store. The stones give the jar some weight so they don’t tip or blow over easily. and the stones look pretty. You can use a variety of things inside to give some weight, sea shells, small white landscape stones, pea gravel. Another cool idea would be to use the blue mason jars they are selling now.

Mary, brilliant ideas πŸ™‚ I never had a problem with them tipping over but the dog did knock one down the stairs and it broke.

Sharron, that would be a great idea and there is plenty of room.

54. D Jados says

fill it with mineral water and a few drops of bleach part way to get more light

I never knew this. Thank you for the tip πŸ™‚

Some of us would like our kitchens renovated but we all know kitchen renovations can be expensive especially if you don’t have enough funds to do
    it. However, you don’t have to be an artist to accomplish this.
    For this thing you will need some papers, a pair of scissors, colors and paint brushes, a gum and some ribbons and boards.

56. Anna says

I wonder if you could use the glow in the dark paint as well to give it some color. I was going to try doing the glow in the dark lights this weekend.

Anna, I have used the blue mason jars for color but never tried to paint them πŸ™‚

That is really fascinating, You’re an overly skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and sit up for searching for more of your fantastic post.

Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

58. Dwight Earl says

I did this, but did not want to paint the jars for color, so I went to the party store and bought several different rolls of colored cellophane like you use for Easter baskets. I crumpled a different color into each jar. Instant colored lights.

Great idea, I just left my jars clear for the natural look. So glad it worked for you πŸ™‚

59. Paula says

This is a great idea! The only thing is the batteries have to be changed after awhile and if the top is glued on you’d have to force the plastic top to replace the batteries.

I used to be recommended this website through my cousin. I
    am now not certain whether or not this post is written by him as no one else know such particular about my problem.

You’re amazing! Thanks!

61. mary says

When the power goes off just bring them inside.

62. Tam says

I keep a few cheaper solar lights in a window or under a lamp to charge, , that way if there is a power outage, you have a safe, handy light source. Be sure to tell your elderly neighbors or family this idea, my elderly neighbors family is grateful for the safe hint. Now they don’t worry so much if the power is out. .

Dorothy, just the top portion of a solar garden light stake.

63. Lisa says

Even solar lights have a battery. If you glue the lid you can’t change the battery. But for as cheap as they are, who cares???

Lisa, so far I have had them for over 4 years and haven’t had to replace a battery πŸ™‚

64. Debbie Halcott says

I bet putting the color glass stones in the jar would also give it color.

• Debbie Halcott says

The color glass stones will also give it more weight so that it won’t fall over πŸ™‚

65. Shirlee says

If you use the decorative jelly jars (the ones with designs in the glass – like grapes) and it creates a great light design for a table top or window sill.

66. Denise says

Is there any issue with condensation accumulating in the jar? Just curious as I made a DIY bird feeder made with plates and drinking glasses and condensation is an issue.

67. Angela Rupp says

Fantastic idea. Having a party tomorrow will line the sidewalk. Ha v e to get up early to get to go to Wally World before the crazies. Thanks muchly.

Angela, that will be beautiful for a party πŸ™‚

68. mickie lomax says

This is a great idea but I wondering with it being glass will they bust if left outside in the winter? Do you have any ideas for the winter?

69. Mickie Lomax says

Thanks this winter I will do this

70. Linda says

This is a wonderful idea! I had been toying with using LED lights in mason jars to hang on shepherd’s hooks as a welcome, but this is far better! And what a pleasure to see all of the creative minds sharing ideas and ‘what ifs’, too!

Linda, that would be darling on the shepherd’s hook, all you need to do is make a wire handle.

71. Laurie says

I have made these before using the flat-top lid of certain solar lights and just resting them on clear vases, etc. I put a candle in the bottom of the vase and the LED light makes the candle glow as if it is lighted. Much more realistic. And you don’t have to put rocks and things in the empty space. The solar “lid” also protects the candle from the rain and falling debris.

Laurie, I’ve never needed rocks in mine they seem to be heavy enough to stay upright, and I love the fact that I don’t have to do anything the solar feature lights up the deck πŸ™‚

72. Jeanie says

If you put a little round mirrow in the bottom it will creat more lummination, love your idea!

73. Cheryl Major says

What a great idea Dawn. I love your post and the fact the I have all on hand makes me love it more !! Thanks!!

I love simple and clever ideas! I actually have those garden lights. I think I need to get a few mason jars now.

Susan this is such an easy project to do. I’ve had mine for 4 years now and they’re still working and I leave them out in the snow and everything.

75. ans says

If you also put a few glass pebbles inside for reflection its even better

76. June says

I have bought solar lights 3 different times over 12 years, because I would get discouraged, as several would quit working within days, I even replaced the batteries, and they wouldn’t work with the new batteries, and then the ones that did work, quit working after a few days of rain. Any suggestions welcome. I must be doing something wrong.

June, I always purchase the ones from Menards and I’ve had them for 5 years without any of them going out.

77. Monique says

I did this a couple years ago and added white decorative rocks in the mason jar they are really pretty and stand out. Thanks

Brilliant idea Monique I bet they’re beautiful.

78. Monique says

I did after my porch was redone and they really stand out, the only thing different I added white decorative rocks purchased from the $ store to decorate them. Thanks for sharing

Monique I’ve had mine for about 4 years now and so far they are still holding up in all kinds of weather conditions. I did loose a couple to the dog knocking them over, but so far they look fantastic.

Sara thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Mine have lasted for years.