Personalized Entrance Marker

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comThis is a project hubby and I started last fall but I never showed you until now because the mulch wasn’t down or the perennials planted. Hubby brought this huge rock home from the next door neighbors farmland. It’s so heavy the bobcat wouldn’t lift it he had to push it with the bucket all the way home. When he got it there he plopped it right next to our front porch. I never like it there so I asked him to move it to a better location. It’s sorta like interior decorating, you have to try it in several places until you find the right spot.

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comI decided the right spot was near a bend in the drive and it’s the first area you can spot the cabin from. The rock was nice and all but I knew it needed something more. My wheels started turning and I decided our name needed to be on the rock.

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comPersonalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.com

I found the rusted metal letters on Etsy, and thought they would go perfect with our surroundings and style. Next it was hubby’s job to figure out a way to attach them to the rock. I did ask the shop owner to drill holes in the letters before he shipped them, and he did just as I asked.

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comHubby used a drill with a diamond bit, made the holes in the rocks, and screwed the letters to the rock. I added the birdhouse, the solar lights (I love the look by the way when I come up the drive at night, it illuminates our name perfectly), and a few perennials. Daisy’s are planted up front, Blackeyed Susans on the back side of the rock, and Hyssops on both sides.

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comIt makes for a fun, unique entrance marker. So far there’s no bird nesting in the birdhouse, but I hope one takes up residence soon.

Personalized Entrance Marker | CreativeCainCabin.comThanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Dawn2

Comments

1. Christi says

Dawn, I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for dropping in Christi have a wonderful holiday weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Cheryl Major says

Dawn, That spot you picked for the rock is perfect. It looks wonderful. It goes so well with your house.

Thank you Cheryl I can’t believe we’ve been in the house 6 years now and the yard is just now coming together.

Linda I thought about house numbers too but settled with our name. Have a lovely weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Tamara R says

Nice! Very welcoming entrance! Your flowers will be beautiful for years to come. After a decade of planting annuals, I am finally waking up to the idea of lower maintenance landscaping. Freedom! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thank you Tamara, yes perennials are so much easier and a one time purchase.

Love it Dawn!!….and so great that it is lighted too…..Now if it were me, I would have to pick a spot and would not have the choice of changing my mind with that enormous heavy rock!….Hubby gives me a pass on moving furniture from place to place, but I think he would draw the line with the boulder!!….Beautiful area to welcome family and friends…loved seeing the house in the background….Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Shirley, Im sure my hubby isn’t always thrilled about it but he humors me and moves it around. Have a great weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Kathleen G says

Love it! Nice to have equipment to move heaving things and soil too. First time I’ve seen the front of your property, gorgeous view. Have a fun Memorial Day weekend Dawn, Kathleen in Az

Kathleen I guess it’s the first time I taken a photo of that side of the yard. Sometimes it gives you a better feel for the layout of the place.

Thank you Carol, I like the look too, it’s something different!

6. Becky says

I love this. It looks great. I like that it is lit at night too. I bet it’s really pretty at night. I may have to go do some rock hunting of my own.

Becky they give rocks away near me but I now in some places people pay big bucks for them.

Love your rock!! I love the idea of driving up at night and it being lit up. Great place for it.

Judy

Thank you Judy, it does look nice all lit up.

Thank you Windi, you have a great weekend also.

Hi Dawn,
    That cute little birdhouse will surely have a family soon. Love the personalizing of the rock for the entrance to the cabin. Awesome! Have a wonderful week end.
    Kris

Thank Kris, I have no idea why that house isn’t occupied yet when the rest have nests in them. Maybe it’s just not their style.

Oh my gosh. This is perfect…and I love that you did it yourself…with help from hubby of course. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ann, I have the brilliant ideas, lol he just has to go along.

10. angela says

looks so good. have you thought about adding a bird bath?

Angel, Glad that you mentioned that. On the left side of the rock there is a dip and it’s a natural birdbath. The depression is large enough that it holds water ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Arlene says

Love the rock and the rusty letters. Just one thought – if the daisies are anything like mine, they will soon be tall and will hide the letters. Unless they are a smaller version – mine are Shasta Daisy. They look innocent enough this time of year, but give them about a month and they are huge.

Arlene, I think the variety is low to the ground, but if they get tall I’ll just dig them up and move them.