Rustic Fall Porch

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetDo you remember when I had these whiskey barrels at the entrance of my side porch? Well I was tired of their placement and decided to use them on the front porch to accent each side of the front door. Hubby wasn’t home that day with the Bobcat so I had to shovel the dirt out of each barrel, stockpile it in 5 gallon buckets, and then muscle the empty barrels onto the front porch, only to repeat the process in the reverse order.

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetOrdinarily I would have hubby just pick them up with the Bobcat forks and dump them over, but this time I had to do it the hard way. Before it was over the tops of my thighs had brusises all over them. It must have been from the way I carried the barrels, not to mention I bruise easy anyway. I’m so glad I decided to do it I really like the new look.

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetI’ve always wanted boxwood (just so I can have the trimmings for wreath making) and they were on clearance for the end of the season, so it was the perfect time to buy. I think it will be a nice area for every season. I will have the green of the boxwood all year rounds and I can decorate or plant the rest of the area around it seasonally. Right now the bright yellow mums look so inviting as guests enter the porch. I always think of yellow as a bright, sunny, cheery color and it looks stunning against the dark logs.

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetMy friend Lisa and I, my partner in crime, went on a mission of tracking down Bittersweet vine. It grows wild on the roadsides where I’m from so all we had to do was track some down and start trimming. This is why I always have garden nippers in my purse, for occasions just like this. It turned out to be a simple rustic wreath for the door and it was also quite the adventure.

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetI wanted new fall pillows for the porch furniture but didn’t want to go shopping or spend a lot so I went through my fabric stash only to remember I had several fall tablecloths. I picked the tablecloth with the leaf pattern and started cutting and sewing. About an hour later I had new fall pillows for the porch and didn’t have to stand in front of a huge fabric selection trying to decided on the perfect pattern. I love it when a project falls into place.

Rustic Front Porch of a Log Cabin Decorated For Fall Using Whiskey Barrels, Boxwoods, Mums, and BittersweetDoes anyone have any idea how large I should expect the boxwood to get? I’m not sure if it will outgrow the barrel over time, or if it will only grow as large as the pot allows. Come back Sunday for more outside fall decorating.

SigFeather

Comments

1. Karen says

I love the whiskey barrels with the boxwood and it will be perfect year around. The wreath looks awesome,m too. I love bittersweet. Can’t wait to see the rest of the decorations.

Karen I love Bittersweet too. I’ve planted it but never has it taken off, so I think I’ll try again in the spring one more time.

2. Shelly Barley says

Oh my heart!! I LOVE that bittersweet wreath! Waiting for the vines in our woods to “open” fully – I may copy your idea (if that’s ok). And the up-cycled tablecloth turned pillow covers…beautiful!!

Shelly I cut mine when the berries are still green and within 3 days they have all popped, turned color and opened fully. Feel free to copy the idea ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Kathleen G says

A start of a beautiful Autumnal porch! Love the pillows and rustic wreath. Kathleen in Az

Thank you Kathleen it felt good to get that area decorated.

I love your porch and your can-do attitude! That bittersweet wreath makes my heart beat a little faster!

Yvonne I don’t let anything stop me when I’m on a mission to accomplish something.

5. Becky says

Dawn, I love these. The yellow is really pretty. I read somewhere once if you are trying to sell your house you should plant yellow flowers because they are the most welcoming color. Also, you carry garden nippers in your purse? I love that.

Becky I have heard the same thing about the color yellow. I’ve also read you can have 3 home in a row that are identical one blue, one white, and one yellow. They yellow will sell first, the white next, and the blue last. There must be something true about the color yellow then. Yes the nippers are always with me and my purse weighs a ton because of everything I have it loaded with.

It looks beautiful, Dawn. Love that wreath. xo Laura

Laura thank you, I love it too and the fact that it was free was even better.

7. susanjc says

Very inviting porch, Dawn! Now if the snow will just stay away to enjoy it a little longer!

Susan we are already getting frost here so I don’t think the snow is far off ๐Ÿ™‚

You are one hard working gal. You have a goal, set your mind to it and you get it done! And the result is beautiful !

Thank you Shirley and yes I am a very determined person, lol.

Cheryl today I cleaned out my 12ft linen closet. It took 5 hours, and I also took a truckload to hospice. Im so glad to have that off my list.

9. Nancy Blue Moon says

Dawn…your house and grounds are just so pretty…

Thank you Nancy there’s always something that needs to be done around the place.

10. a friend says

Lovely wreath. : ) Please remind your readers to be sure to ask permission to harvest bittersweet that is growing on farmers’ fences. It is their property and they, themselves, may be waiting for it to ripen – only to find that someone took it. Remember that farmers pay taxes to the middle of the road in front of their property and of course the fences (and what’s on them) is theirs. Many farmers will give permission …if you ask. : )