This is the time of year that I start thinking about comfort food. Something that’s easy yet filling and delicious. One of my go to foods is a grilled cheese sandwich and warm crusty homemade bread. To me it just hits the spot!
I normally purchase my Jalapeno Cheddar Bread from our local farmers market but with all the lockdowns I decided I’d adapt one of my favorite and EASY recipes and make my own. The only inconvenience is it’s not something you can make up and bake right away, it needs time to rise.
TIP: I make up the dough right before I go to bed and bake it when I get up the next morning.
Give it a try and let me know what you think, this bread mades the perfect cheese sandwich for dunking into my homemade tomato soup!
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in water using a wooden spoon until the mixture forms dough ball. Stir in cheese and jalapeños. Do not over-work the dough.
2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a tea towel. Let dough sit at room temperature for 8-24 hours. Dough will rise. I make this up before I go to bead and it's ready to bake when I get up in the morning.
3. Preheat oven to 450. Place your Dutch oven, covered, into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
4. While your Dutch oven preheats, turn dough onto a well-floured surface. With floured hands, form the dough into a ball. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest.
5. After the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove Dutch oven. With floured hands, place the bread dough into it.
6. Replace cover and bake for 30 minutes covered. Carefully remove cover and bake for 7-15 minutes more, uncovered.
7. Carefully remove bread and place on a wire wrack to cool. Enjoy!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.