Asparagus Picking Time

Asparagus A Spring VegetableWe hit the jackpot…when it comes to Asparagus. This is prime Asparagus season here in Michigan, luckily for us it grows wild along the roadside ditches and hubby has an eagle eye for it. I just about get settled into our ride and then all of a sudden, whiplash, he comes to an abrupt halt when he spies some asparagus spears. Hmmm, now that I think about it I know someone else who does that with wildflowers (I won’t be mentioning any names though).

Asparagus SpearsThe main reason it grows so abundantly along our roadsides is due to all the salt the county puts on the roads during the winter months. Asparagus grows in soil that is very saline, and if you are a gardener you know salting your asparagus patch is a good thing (just watch out salt will kill the rest of your garden plants). Since we had such a harsh winter the salt was dumped daily on the icy roads and as it melted and ran off it was aiding the wild asparagus.

Asparagus SpearsWe get enough to eat daily during the season, the only bad part about finding it in the ditch is hubby normally gets poison ivy right along with it. I have tried to freeze it near the end of the season but it never tastes right to me, so I gave up and we just eat it fresh while it’s available. Have you ever noticed that horrible smell when you use the necessary? I have no idea how it can affect our urine so fast but it sure does. Ok, so that may be to much information.

On a better note, it sure is a great time driving with my hubby, finding asparagus, and chatting. It’s another great day in the country.

dawn

Comments

Wow! I can’t even IMAGINE having wild asparagus! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds so good. We do have wild blackberries all over our farm and so lovely to have – but pretty evil to pick with the thorns! I think we now need a post on all the different ways you cook asparagus! – Dori –

Dori, We have wild blackberries and raspberries both on our property and yes you have to fight the thorns.

2. Diane says

We don’t have wild asparagus in Ky. Wish we did! It’s pretty pricey at the grocery store. I’ve heard of pickled asparagus but have never tried it. Might be worth a try.

Diane, it’s pricey at our stores too. That’s why it’s nice to get it for free ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow Dawn this is too amazing to just ride along the dirt road and find Asparagus growing. Very Cool. I love asparagus but it is so pricey in the stores so this is great you can just go pick your own and it is fresh and delicious.
    Kris

Kris, you’re exactly right. We don’t have to pay for it. We just drive along and pick what we want.

Dawn, I love asparagus. We have a small patch in our backyard. I swear I can see it grow. I’d be walking the roadways if it grew wild here! I can’t get enough. YUMMY!

Yvonne, it does grow fast we checked about 2 days ago and nothing and then a few days later it was 12 inches tall.

5. Bev says

I had no idea it grew wild anywhere! I read on another news site that MI is also known for it’s asparagus. That makes me so excited. I love eating it. All I do is spread them on a large cookie sheet, drizzle them with EVOO, salt & pepper and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese. Put under the broiler for 3-6 minutes, watch closely. They’re SOOOO good like that! I’ll be on the lookout for them on our way up ๐Ÿ™‚

Bev, it grows like crazy around my place. I love to cook it that way too ๐Ÿ™‚

We used to have a lot of asparagus growing wild in our backyard when I was growing up in Ontario. Unfortunately fresh asparagus now makes me sick ๐Ÿ™

xo
    Laura

PS. I brake for wildflowers, too.

Laura, you will just have to stick to the wildflower picking. LOL

7. Tammy says

That is such a blessing…. good eye!

Tammy, Hubby brought home another batch last night.

8. Jillian says

Asparagus grows wils in Eastern Washington too. I love it! You should try pickling it, so yummy and great for cocktail parties. Also relish in a Bloody Mary!